Author Topic: How do you make reduced iron?  (Read 3184 times)

potisgood

How do you make reduced iron?
« on: November 03, 2001, 04:06:00 AM »
I keep seeing references to using reduced iron but I can't find how to make it anywhere.  Does anybody know?

sYnThOmAtIc

Re: How do you make reduced iron?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2001, 04:45:00 AM »
Partitioned electrolysis.

b159510

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2001, 04:52:00 AM »
I believe this refers to how pure iron is obtained. Iron is usually found in nature as the oxide. If this is heated to high temperature and reacted with hydrogen gas, the products are iron and steam. The mass of iron oxide has been 'reduced' (the original meaning of the term), and the oxidation state of the iron has been reduced from +3 to zero.

Back to the Primitive

sYnThOmAtIc

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2001, 05:13:00 AM »
Take a solution of ferrous oxide and place in a electrolytic cell and collect your Fe at the cathode.

b159510

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2001, 05:59:00 AM »
My explanation would only relate to iron that is labeled 'reduced with hydrogen'. Anyway, reduced iron simply refers to metallic iron obtained from iron-containing compounds.[EDIT] would you believe my Iron Reduced With Hydrogen bottle also says 'Pharmaceutical Grade'? Hmm..Maybe its used by people with an iron-poor diet..HAAAAHAAAA..ok bad joke.
Back to the Primitive

terbium

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2001, 07:00:00 AM »
Take a solution of ferrous oxide
If you don't know the answer then you shouldn't just make stuff up.

Rhodium

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2001, 04:29:00 PM »
(To clarify what terbium wrote, Ferrous oxide is an insoluble compound)

Antibody2

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2001, 10:28:00 PM »
could it be precipitated from a FeCl2 solution using Al, and then remove the Al with a NaOH solution?

i know you can precipitate it using zinc, then get rid of the zinc using NaOH solution, forming zinc oxide or hydroxide i forget which now, leaving behind your elemental Fe. right?

"All those memories lost like rain..."

Masquerade

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2001, 09:42:00 PM »

could it be precipitated from a FeCl2 solution using Al, and then remove the Al with a NaOH solution?

This makes no sense. If you add NaOH, it will react with precipitated Fe. This is not what you want to do. Look at the reaction...

3FeCl2(aq) + 2Al(s) --> 2AlCl3(aq) + 3Fe(s)

Al will be in solution and Fe will precipitate, just filter.
Aluminum is better, it is cheaper. Rub Al foil with steel woole to get rid of oxidized layer, then put it in your solution. Also useful for obtaining Cu from CuSO4 solution.

If people can not obtain Zn from a supplier, then you can take a ZnCl2 solution to do the same. On electromotive series Al is one above Zn, so it will probably be a slow rxn. SWIM has never tryed it, but if it is helpful then give it a try. Does anyone think it will work?