Author Topic: Making slow release pills  (Read 3349 times)

masterofpuppets

Making slow release pills
« on: October 19, 2001, 02:58:00 AM »
Now I know that mostly bees are interested in breaking down the slow release pills (to get pfed out) but I was curious if there was a way that gear could be put into a form (either physically or chemically) which would make it slow release??  Does anyone have any ideas??  Anything which is fairly OTC would be appreciated.

Everyone repeat after me - "I am an individual, just like everybody else"

lugh

Re: Making slow release pills
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2001, 04:15:00 AM »
Shellac and alcohol make a good time release coating  :)

masterofpuppets

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
Yeah, well I am not sure if that is such a good idea.  Any decent suggestions??

Osmium

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »
No, it works!

I have some time release vitamin c caps containing small beads which will dissolve over several hours.

Ingredients:
ascorbic acid ~50%, sugar, ZnSO4.H2O (2%), gelatin, corn starch, shellac, talc, glucose syrup, dyes.

The beads are about 0.5mm diameter and need more than ten hours to dissolve.

lugh

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2001, 08:01:00 PM »

Yeah, well I am not sure if that is such a good idea.  Any decent suggestions??

From the Chemical Formulary  ;)

A coating for pills and tablets, insoluble in the stomach but disintegrating in the intestine, may be obtained by applying a thick layer of shellac may be obtained by applying a thick layer of plasticized shellac. Small successive quantities of a solution containing shellac 20 g, anhydrous lanolin 5 g, and alcohol 75 g, are applied in a coating pan.
After the first uniform coating, the tablets are dusted with gum acacia, but powdered talc is applied after each of two additional coats.
When the weight of the tablets has increased by 37%, two or three coats of a 20% solution of shellac in alcohol are added, and the tablets dried.
 :)  ;D  :)

goiterjoe

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2001, 09:35:00 PM »
hey Os, are you talking about the ones in the orange and clear gelcaps?  I love those caps, they weigh almost exactly 0.1 grams.  300 of them on a scale weigh exactly 30 grams.

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

masterofpuppets

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2001, 07:40:00 PM »
sorry lugh - I owe u an apology.  Where swim comes from Shellac is actually something quiet different to what u were referring to, which is why I thought that u were just being stupid.  I am sorry.