Author Topic: Eugenol ---> Safrole Revisited  (Read 3497 times)

eXcidium

Eugenol ---> Safrole Revisited
« on: February 01, 2004, 02:38:00 PM »
Afet much reading on this forum, I find myself in a difficult path. Safrole (and iso-s), now beeing a Class I precursor, Cannot be bought in any way (or at least i can't)  :( .

So the best way would be to go from the eugenol route?
(

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/methylenation.html

)

The methylation itself does not seem to bee any problem, but
the demethylation does

In the refered document, it seems a bit "vague", or perhaps a bit inconclusive, and not that Sassy is dead this is, perhaps, the best way.

In this case, it does noesn't need to be "OTC", since I can buy anything I need save for classi I and 5 class 2 substances (Pyridine, anthranilic acid, acetic anhydride, and two others I can't recall)
(shit why didn't i order 5 Kg of anthranilic acid last month??? ;) )

But beyond that, waht I'm asking is someone can give me some solid help on the Eugenol ---> 4-allylbenzene-1,2-diol ---> Safrole, OR if there is another way (probabbly the one starting from catechol) wich gives better yelds

Many thanks

eXciciun

Rhodium

Every road leads to Rome... eventually.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »
I think you are likely to get more solid help if you don't just ask unspecific question about a whole class of reactions (ether  cleavage and formation).

Are you specifically interested in safrole preparation from Eugenol, or is catechol/allylbenzene just as available to you?
What have you got most of; money(=chemicals), spare time or lab skill/equipment? Which of these do you have in shortest supply?

There is no doubt that demethylation of eugenol works, it's just up to your skills and resources to determine how much precursors and/or time you are willing to spend to arrive at your desired amount of your target compound. Some routes are more fool-proof than other ones, but they may require extra steps, certain equipment or may give a lower yield.

eXcidium

Answers
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »
Hey thanks man

Sorry about about beeing unspecific that first time, i'l refine my doubts now

The first part, would be wich is the best cleavage method
Money should't be much of a problem, and I already bough
1 Kg of 99+% Eugenol (€80 / 500g, don't know if that is considered normal price) And also some PTC catalysts
(tetra n-butyl ammonium chloride, iodide, and bromide)
also 500g Pure Iodine. All solvents are ordered, already.
So in terms of reagents nothing is missing.
The main question would waht is the best yelding route to
do that cleavage (without requiring too specific equipment, since i don't want to spend even more money on more glassware. if required, nitrogen can also be bought (to protect the rections from oxygen)

the second question would be almost the same, but regarding the methylenation (formation?)
I wat thinking in "Methylenation Of Catechols with Dichloromethane", in the above mentioned document

Or at least the reaction that allow me to "scale up" and not do 10-20g quantities each time( the best would be doing about 200g on the cleavage each time, since it's time consuming) and same for formation

Sorry about this but sometimes I can't express myself in a very clear way, but I think you get the picture

thanks again
;D

eXcidium

opps
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »
Hey
Sorry, yesterday I wasn't very coherent. (oh absinthe...)

Let em try to explain, what would be the best route (complete) from eugenol to safrole, giving the best yields, and the most possible quantity (of reagents) usable in a single reaction, this can bee helpfull since now Safrole ain't available (at least, not for all os us ;) )