The Hive > Methods Discourse

Benzaldehyde + MEK acid catalyzed aldol

<< < (3/10) > >>

bio:
OK, twodogs and Rhodium, thanks for the references. Doing my research now. By the way Rhodium can P2P be distilled at atmospheric without decomposition (or only minimal)? I always used about 10 torr and it stayed water white for days.

Rhodium:
Yes, P2P can be distilled without vacuum, but you might get 10% better yield by using vacuum. 10 mmHg is excellent in this case.

bio:
Hi twodogs and Rhodium. The condensation went quite smoothly I added about half the HCL gas before the color change started and it was just as you said the next morning. I will try to crystallize my little test batch tonight without distilling. Did you ever have any luck with this? When I crystallized phenyl nitropropene w/o distillation it worked but only by seeding with a grain or two of fine sand and this without removing the solvent or chilling. I presume not as you mention the freezer trip. Anyway I will try it as it would save a lot of work especially when scaled to the proportions planned. PhCHO is sold as bacteriacide around here so it's about as common as formaldehyde.

bio:
OK, It crystallized after freezing with scratching and seeding. Now trying to determine a suitable recrys solvent. Any ideas. Will try abs IPA and Hexane or Benzene first.

Herr_Ovalmeister:
Post 208702 (Antoncho: "The easiest synth of benzaldehyde from toluene", Chemistry Discourse)

I've seen MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) sold at one hardware store OTC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version