Author Topic: Best way to handle the orange Gakk ?  (Read 2552 times)

evilscripter69

Best way to handle the orange Gakk ?
« on: June 27, 2004, 04:11:00 AM »
first encounter with this shit was a bitch, didnt know where the shit came from, it moves freely from solvents to water and  leaves nasty orange looking plastic crap in pipe, i know know where it came from. Any suggestions on best way to circumvent it. I was thinking steam distillation maybe? It seems to drop to bottom when heated, or possibly freebasing the E crystals(from straight to E extraction method)I really need some help with this shit. It's really nasty shit. >:(

kris_1108

it's all here
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 04:49:00 AM »
There might be some stuff in the search engine about this..

gluecifer69

Search for tetra trap, TCE and Japan Drier(JD)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:22:00 AM »
Search for tetra trap, TCE and Japan Drier(JD)

casper

Yep this is deffinetly some nasty stuff,when...
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 05:45:00 AM »
Yep this is deffinetly some nasty stuff,when doing straight to e swim get the orange crap stuck to the bottom of the beaker,  swim has tried putting some iso into  the beaker and evaporating but ends up with some gooey crap, with some red hots swim has had a little success with boilng twice in naptha, xylene, acetone, and mek..........dont ya just love boiling solvents >:(

ChemoSabe

Tyvek Soak/Xylene Precip Combo
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 05:49:00 AM »
Tyvek bound pill soaks (heating to 70c+-) using 99% iso (or methanol) followed by filtration and then a xylene precip worked fine all the way until  the appearance of polysorbate 80 which fully covers the reign of both of the orange gakks.

The most hassle free method swim ever found of bypassing the orange mofo's.

If you've got pill stocks which predate polysorbate 80 and euradigit this method should still work fine.

Follow the precip with a good panning style acetone rinse for good measure.

evilscripter69

just love boiling solvents
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 08:13:00 AM »
these pills had a more recent expiraton date, and had two distinct coatings and numbers, the new ones had 44/112 on front, where the old ones we were having excellent results from had only the number 44 on them, this gakk gave me considerable troubles last week with its ph alterating ability,now i have about 60g from the straight to E method, when the nasty orange color showed up i knew it was the nasty. The first encounters i thought povidone was in it, as it had similar effects, Damned if im not considering brewing my own damned e, OUR GOVENRMENT HERE UN USA SUCKS !!
leave us alone now, back to matter at hand,would tce wash of the extract help?
can you steam distill the E first?  Thinking of trying that out,
I very much love The Hive, and Rhodium's site and appreciate your help, we all have things of benefit to eachother,
 T/Y  E.S.

ChemoSabe

You May have PS80
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 09:04:00 AM »
Heating the alc isn't really needed but hastens the process a bit. The Xylene also need not bee taken to the boiling point but moderate heat and a good fan blowing over it is recommended if a hot plate is being used for the precip. Good ventilation goes without saying here.

If you are getting the fluctuating pH though most likely there's polysorbate 80 in the mix even if it's not listed on the box.

If that's the case you'll still get product from a reaction of pseudo extracted in this manner but your yeilds will suffer greatly and the product will most likely be of the undesirable "jaw clench" variety.

Read up on polysorbate 80 for more details. Scotty Dog has a pretty decent cure for it somewhere.

If you've got PS80 just bee happy you don't got euradigit! It's worse.

casper

polysorbate 80
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »
polysorbates and polysorbate80

Very sol in water; sol in alcohol, cottonseed oil, corn oil, ethyl acetate, methanol, toluene.

ChemoSabe

Effect of PS80
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »
What the PS80 will do is make your phed and your meth unsure if it is a salt or a freebase so that every solvent you use with it will take a portion of your yeild.

Save _all_ your solvent washes to reclaim the losses.

It will also most likely give you an incomplete reaction if any gets into the reaction mix.

evilscripter69

Steam distillation an option ?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »
SWIE has noticed considrable losses from this before and has opted to learn the enemy. Steam Distillation should cut the solvent losses but will the nasty gakk carry over at the same temperatures? it seems to fall to bottom on heating so dreaming of doing test rxn/steam distillation.Can of basing the results of the straight to E before reacting. SWIE also has very nice vacuum setup, useful for low temp evaporation of non polars?
What about aTCE wash prior to reacting?
Better Living Through Chemistry ;D

geezmeister

common theme
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »
A number of bees have prveiously suggested that you do a little searching for this information rather than create a new thread on it. Do a search in this forum for posts on orange gakk, as there are already a number of threads on those gakks. Search for posts on orange gakks and you find a wealth of information. Steam distillation of pseduo is less effective than you might think it would be.

evilscripter69

it wasnt common to me
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »
this was my first encounter with it, seems to be PS80.
I have spent many hours researching  posts and now have some answers. swim believes an error in S2E brought it out, and will be more careful in future, as these are same redhots he has been using for quite some time
thanks

ChemoSabe

Read That Thread
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 01:44:00 AM »
Straight2E was developed prior to the reign of polysorbate 80 so it's not really meant to deal with it. I think ScottyDog's "problems gassing 120's" is the most comprehensive thread on it.

UncleFester

your roads...
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 04:01:00 AM »
lead through boiling hot hydroxide to destroy the polymers. Pay attention, or just wait for SOMM 7 in about 6 months.

evilscripter69

THANKS UNCLE
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »
Will dream of following those roads.SWIM dreamed of a TCE wash, following some more xylene/naptha boils and re-x, then picking out the little orange nuggets remaining, ran the rea-x
got about a z of decent no gakk gear,
I do love the Hive and rhodium, ever since i found them in 1998. this is great,I used to search out your books with much difficulty 20 yrs ago, now we can all communicate real time.