Author Topic: Another nitromethane question  (Read 1888 times)

amanda

Another nitromethane question
« on: January 02, 2002, 09:49:00 AM »
#1:  I see in certain synths (e.g. MM's) that call for nitromethane, the formula is listed as MeNO2, but the MSDS for nitromethane lists it as CH3NO2.  Would someone please explain the difference for me?

#2:  Assuming someone was able to obtain 99%+ purity nitromethane, should that person be concerned with the additional additives (specified in previous posts as probably nitroethane and maybe MEOH (is that right?)) as either a source of contamination or as a reagent which would produce undesirable side-effects?  In other words, is 99%+ purity nitromethane usable as-is?

Thanks!

-a

Help stamp out, abolish, and eliminate redundancy!

demorol

Re: Another nitromethane question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2002, 10:21:00 AM »
1. Me means the same as CH3 (Me = methyl, CH3 = methyl). I don't know why it is used instead of CH3, but you'll get used to it.

2. MeNO2 of 99%+ purity is pure enough for the MM's reaction. I think you'll have some trouble finding MeNO2 of higher purity.
Life without chemistry would be a mistake.

Osmium

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2002, 12:28:00 PM »
Maybe you should sue your nitromethane supplier for product misrepresentation and make money that way instead. Aldrich is the only suppier of that purity grade that I know of, and it is very expensive.
But if your supplier was Aldrich I doubt you'd have to ask these questions.

Goodtimes

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2002, 02:07:00 PM »

Aldrich is the only suppier of that purity grade that I know of,

I have found several suppliers that indicate that they double distil their product.  And yea, this is used for drag racing...

Of course, the accuracy of anything in this world is questionable..

"The gods are too fond of a joke."  (Aristotle)