Author Topic: NaCNBH4 purity?  (Read 2971 times)

dely72

NaCNBH4 purity?
« on: January 12, 2002, 08:34:00 PM »
Well, my friend has been searching for an easy 2-5 step synth to start off with. He has noticed KrZ's DMT synth using formaldahyde, NaCNBH4, and tryptamine(among others).
He is very interested as all of the needed chems are available to him. The one question that he has is this: The lab store by his place has NaCNBH4. The problem is that the purity is only 95%.  Is this pure enough to perform this reaction (adjusting molar ratios accordingly of course)? Is this a common purity for this substance? My friend would like to know before ordering.
Also, what kind of shelf life can one expect from NaCNBH4? If kept in the freezer how long will it stay relatively pure? Should he only order what he plans on using right away?

Sorry for all of the infuriating newbee questions, I have utfse'd and can find no info.

Thanks

Lilienthal

Re: NaCNBH4 purity?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2002, 10:44:00 AM »
95% should be ok. It should be stored in a dry place in a tightly sealed container to prevent degradation by humidity. BTW, Parafilm doesn't help sealing containers! But it seems to be a kind of archaic ritual  ::) .

NaCNBH4 is an extremely dangerous reagent for beginners. It develops deadly HCN (hydrogen cyanide gas) on acidification, e.g. during workup or disposal.

hest

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2002, 02:18:00 PM »
-----------------------------------------
Parafilm doesn't help sealing containers! But it seems to be a kind of archaic ritual
-----------------------------------------
Litt.. are you sure ?  parafin has some affinity to wather, and it's a nice way to seal a stopper.

And dely, I think that indole, oxalylchloride, dimethylamine and LAH is a easyer way to get DMT.
Mix theindole with the oxalylchloride, add the dimethylamine solution (it works greath wit the wather solution) and reduce the goo with LAH. Then make the fumerate off the freebase.

foxy2

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2002, 06:12:00 PM »
Lili
NaCNBH4 is dangerous?
There was a discussion about that here recently(couple months ago) and the conclusion was that its not dangerous and dosn't form HCN. 
These posts and the thread

Post 218615 (missing)

(megamole: "Re: Sodium Triacetoxy is the shit", Methods Discourse)

Post 218736 (missing)

(megamole: "Re: Sodium Triacetoxy is the shit", Methods Discourse)

Foxy

I hate my government, does this mean I'm a terrorist??

dely72

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2002, 02:56:00 AM »
The only prob that I see with the indole route is the availability of the precursers. While I do not think any of them are listed some are most definately watched. LAH and oxalyl chloride my friend would feel a bit sketchy about ordering them. Most likely he would have a friend place the order who has nothing illegal at his house, but the NaCNBH4 route sounds a bit easier to him.
Many thanks though for all of the input, and lack of flamage;)

dely72

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2002, 03:07:00 AM »
Oh also, I thought that dimethylamine was a list 1 chem. Perhaps I am thinking of diethylamine though.

Rhodium

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2002, 03:44:00 AM »
No, only methylamine and ethylamine are list 1 chemicals. Dimethylamine and diethylamine is not explicitly controlled.

hest

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2002, 11:20:00 AM »
And i think tha the world use a lot more LAH than NaCNBH4, but I don't have any numbers

dely72

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2002, 03:16:00 AM »
I know that LAH is not listed but I thought that it was severely watched, and that a lot of chem companies will not sell it to an individual. Perhaps I am wrong but I certainly got that impression from the many things that I have read. I wish I could remember where I have read this, but I have seen statements that it is eversohard to come by. My friend was kind of discouraged about ordering for this reason. He knows that sodium cyano is not even a watched chem(whatever watched really means).  Either way though, the KRZ method sounds much easier, but again my friend is a newbee so he could be wrong about this as well.

foxy2

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2002, 04:05:00 AM »
"He knows that sodium cyano is not even a watched chem"

And tell me, how does he ""know"" that???

I hate my government, does this mean I'm a terrorist??

PrimoPyro

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2002, 04:09:00 AM »
I thought it was watched?

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

dely72

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2002, 06:50:00 AM »
Well perhaps he is wrong, but it is not listed on the list of "watched" chemicals on rhodiums site. LAH is. He is not necessarily worried about it simply being watched, as he has many friends that have nothing illegal in there homes who will buy it for him, rather he worries that he will try to order a product that the company will refuse to sell him. He knows that they will sell him sodium cyano, but from what others have said about about LAH it seems as if most companies will not sell it. There is even a quote in one of zwitterions writeups on rhodiums page where he makes a comment on how it is very hard to get, and he was using what little bit he had to make 2cb. Am I mistaken?  Surely my friend would like to send a buddy in to order some if he believes that it possible they will sell it to him, this he was not sure of though.