Author Topic: GBL as a solvent  (Read 9902 times)

GBL as a solvent
« on: March 13, 2003, 12:00:00 AM »
In this story I am writing I wish to be as real to life as possible-My question, if someone had GBL stored in a beaker and wished to stopper the beaker using a cork, would the gbl if it was in contact with the cork dissolve, deteriorate or damage the cork so as to break the seal??

littlejasebee

Why a beaker ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 12:08:00 AM »

What SWIM would do is not to store it in a beaker but to store it in a PET plastics bottle with a lid .Why do you want to store it in a beaker with a cork   ? .

Littlejase      :)      .

Rhodium

You should rather use a proper bottle with a...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 12:12:00 AM »
You should rather use a proper bottle with a chemical-resistant cap. PET is a polyester plastic which is slowly dissolved by GBL.

Mistated question
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 12:25:00 AM »
I am trying to determine if gbl affects simple materials such as cork for a hypothtical reason, thus really being able to use the correct materials for storage are not the issue. As we are all cunducting hypothetical exiperiments here anyways ;) --you guys have been very polite which I apperciate being so unknowlegable about such advanced items as you guys tackel in your forums.
   The real question being would my theory about using the cork be acceptable for a short period such as 7 days?

littlejasebee

Well thats what SWIM sould
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 12:27:00 AM »

Sorry Rhodium your right thats what SWIM sould do and if you don't have a proper bottle with a  chemical-resistant cap then Swim would put it in a PET plastics bottle . But not a breaker with a cork  .

Littlejase      :)      .

urushibara

polyester?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 09:52:00 AM »
pardon my ignorance, but is polyethylene a polyester? that doesn't sound right to me. _P_oly_ET_hylene note the upper case bits. polyethylene is okay with alcohols but is slightly damaged by chlorinated solvents and aliphatics, and a lot damaged by ketones and aromatics. afaik.

worth looking at the info about materials/solvents compatibility that is either linked from here or rhodium. some materials just turn to goop with some solvents. like acetone and nylon... man.

raffike

Polyethylene isn't an polyester,it's structure
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 12:06:00 PM »
Polyethylene isn't an polyester,it's structure goes like
-CH2-CH2-CH2-

urushibara

'ene' implies a double bond
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
'ene' implies a double bond

what you drew would be called a linear alkane.

ethylene looks like this:

H
    |
H-C=C-H
  |
  H

thus polyethylene would look like this:

H   H   H   H
    |   |   |   |
H-C=C-C=C-C=C-C=C-H
  |   |   |   | 
  H   H   H   H 

though probably longer usually.

that doesn't come out with a monospaced font for me, is that how it is for everyone else?

how about this:

CH2=CH1-CH1=CH1-CH1=CH1-CH1=CH2

polyester would have to have oxygens and OH's in it just like an ester does.

edit: pardon me, I put too many hydrogens in previously, I've corrected this now. thanks badbody

OK but how about Cork??
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 04:01:00 AM »
Ok so its ok on plastics but how about cork???

Ziqquratu

Normally you'd be right, urushibara.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 07:02:00 AM »
Normally you'd be right, urushibara.  "ene" does normally imply double bond.  In this case, however, ethylene is the monomer.  The pi-bond in one ethylene molecule breaks and connects to the next one, forming a sigma-bond between them, which causes the pi-bond in the second to break, which joins to... and so on.  The equation would be written:

x(H2C=CH2) --> ...-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-...

The name of a polymer like this tends to be written Poly-<insert name of monomer here>.  For example, Poly Vinyl Chloride:

x(H2C=CHCl) --> ...-CH2-CHCl-CH2-CHCl-...

Or even Poly Tetrafluoroethylene (Teflon):
x(CF2-CF2) --> ...-CF2-CF2-CF2-CF2-...

Does that make it clear?  I'd post a reaction mechanism (complete with curved arrows!) to make it clearer, but you can find them in an average text book, plus I have no idea of how to post pictures!

urushibara

polyethylene=long chain linear aliphatic?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 08:18:00 AM »
so polyethylene is a similar chemical in structure to hexane or dodecane or something then?

Is the plastic in naptha bottles polypropylene or polycarbonate? or does that vary?

raffike

Yeah,i wondered too...but look what this ...
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 12:53:00 PM »
Yeah,i wondered too...but look what this document has to say about polyethylene

http://www.nrc.ca/irc/cbd/cbd154f.html

No double bonds...which made me wonder why it is called polyethylene...
Raf is no chemist by any means,i'll see what a chemist i know(swiraf's dad) has to say about that.

hypo

eh...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2003, 12:57:00 PM »
> No double bonds...which made me wonder why it is called polyethylene...

because it's polymerised ethylene (duh!)

i'd guess that there's side links to a varied
degree, giving PEs with different properties...

raffike

Why not polymethane?
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2003, 01:34:00 PM »
Why not polymethane?

Rhodium

Because it is made from ethene, not methane.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2003, 12:31:00 AM »
Because it is made from ethene, not methane.

Glad to help
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »
;D Seriously, I am glad to see you guys battle it out over plastic, it actually has brought things into perspective, I am sorry to post on a group sooooooo far over my head--yes Im intelligent just not in chemistry, but as a favor to swim, if anyone wants to play and tell me what a solvent such as GBL would do to a inert organic material such as cork well, then maybee ill put up more posts for you guys to battle over ;) ---thanks, keep laughing, posting and smiling.

callen

So ...I'm Stupid...
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2003, 05:49:00 AM »

gabd

You just drink it
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2003, 05:15:00 PM »
for a hell of a good time!
Its used as a solvent for cleaning electronic circuits, but most people I think people like to drink it more then they like like do clean stuff with it!

hypo

plastics...
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2003, 05:26:00 PM »
> _P_oly_ET_hylene note the upper case bits.

not really.

PE = polyethylene
PET = Polyethylenterephthalat

(but apparently PET is used for all kind of polyesters)

swim knows what to do with it
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2003, 02:47:00 AM »
swim wants to know what it will do to cork--not pet or polyester or hdpe, Im just curious about cork---anyone see a trend in my question ::) Please how does gbl affect cork ::) Im begging at this point.Or is it that none of you know ;) --ha, a challenge--I dare you to answer ;D