Author Topic: Its about time!! OTC DCM  (Read 8450 times)

Chromic

Re: Its about time!! OTC DCM
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2000, 08:37:00 PM »
I went looking for the OTC dcm, methyl man said loctite products could be found at Canadian Tire, so I visited. Nothing was found (which doesn't bother me as I recycle most of my dcm anyways...), although I did notice they had house brand cleaners containing perchloroethylene. It seems that dcm was phased out in favor of 1-1-1-tce, which is being phased out in favor of perchloroethylene (1-1-2-2-tetrachloroethylene, aka perc). In any case, perc a nice chlorinated solvent if you want to to do a reflux at a higher temperature. Perc's bp is 121°C, but of course, it doesn't have the beauty of DCM's very low BP.

Archaeoptrix

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2000, 10:25:00 PM »
Hi folks ! First post here.

DCM has been OTC for quite some time now.  Look in your area's yellow pages under the heading of "plastics" or "plexiglas".  More likely than not you'll find one that sells an 'acrylic adhesive' (which is used to adhere / chemically join 2 pieces of plexiglas together).  By law they must give you an msds.  Look at the sheet and see if its 99%+ methylene dichloride or not (should have a bit of hexane in there too).  No special ordering necesary.

1 QT ~ $20
1 GAL ~ $50

No questions asked.  But, in the occasion they do just tell them you're making your own aquarium out of 3/4" sheet plexi.  Done deal man.

alhambra

Drug_Phreak

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2000, 03:11:00 AM »
What the hell is WallyWorld? Is it like a chain of hardware stores somewhere? I typed in www.wallyworld.com and you don't even want to know what I got ick!

Society exists by chemical affinity, and not otherwise.

savestheday

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2000, 08:34:00 PM »
Just take the first three letters, and replace the rest with whatever store-like word you think of...

examples: try -greens
              -mart

mr_pyrex

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2000, 07:52:00 AM »
I admit i didn't read each and every post in this thread but hwy are you apparently making aquistion of this chemical harder then need be, at least in the USA it can be had at ANY chemical supply company NO questions asked.  And that is 100% pure no distillation required.  This is a fact as it has been done recently more then once.  Just walk right in and give them your money and walk out a satisfied consumer.  Pyrex out of solvents

Dick_Fitzbetter

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
You're right. I don't understand why this subject keeps coming up on a regular basis.

I guess you can lead a horse to dicloromethane, but you can't make him drink.

ô¿ô

scram

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2000, 02:47:00 AM »
You come to my city bub to the chem places here & just see what kind of dumb "box o' rocks" look you get when explaining what you are looking for. Even plastics suppliers didn't even know what it was. BTW, I found that Sunshine Carbosol brand solvent, It has the exact same smell as this gun solvent....the Carbosol says "Trichloroethylene" on it. The shit sucked ass anyhow, It a complete waste of time and energy to get the gun scrubber to clean up even 33% of what Toluene could do. Just like it was mentioned last year about being such a good solvent that it grasps onto the catylist. Shit fucking blew. I eventually after 6 washes had to evap the shit and sink the still BLACK oil in toluene to get the stuff clean. And I got tar, what the fuck is that???!! I never saw tar with toluene, Christ sake, it was globs of tar....but boy o' boy, my toluene sure saved the day!

noj

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2001, 03:10:00 AM »
Hey scram, swim used those cans as a substitute for the DCM and it worked like a charm. Didn't see anything more on the subject so decided to experiement with what I had.

1,1,1-trichloroethane  [71-55-6] 
Synonyms: Methyltrichloromethane; Methyl Chloroform; Chlorothene NU; Chlorothene VG; Chlorothene; alpha-trichloroethane; 1,1,1-tce; aerothene tt; solvent 111; tri-ethane; 1,1,1-TRICHLOROETHANE (METHYL CHLOROFORM); Trichloroethane, 1,1,1- ; 1,1-Trichloroethane; 

Thanks for the tip, helped out when in a pinch.

The leading cause of cancer in labrats is scientific research.

Had to do a few more washes with it to get the hydroquinone out, but didn't see any tar or anything...

Chromic

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2001, 02:04:00 AM »
Simply ask for "methylene chloride". You want it for making dip bath so you can remove paint from intricate lead figurines, say that the stuff that the hardware store sells is all gunked up and can't get into the surface. (if you feel that you need to explain yourself)

All window shops that work with plexiglass will carry it and usually won't know it by the name "dichloromethane". I've usually seen it sold under brand names in 4L tins, 99%+ pure.

woodmeister

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
Hey man, Ive just started looking for my chems and I found some DCM at AutoZ$%&.  It had a picture of a boat and airplane on a metal can.  It was in the paint section.  It also had 4 or 6% percent methanol.  Could a guy use this straight with that small of an amount of methanol or should it be distilled? If it needed to be distilled it shouldnt take long for 6% to evaporate.

noj

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »
It's used to bond plexiglass together isn't it? I've been thinking of building a wall sized container to hold my snake anyway. DCM wasn't a real big issue but recalled this post when I ran out, and decided to use those cans just to see. Turned out to be one of the biggest yielding wackers yet, but think that was due to the extra washings (washed until the wash stayed clear) which was about 10 in all.

Woodmeister: You should distill any OTC solvent, but you should know that the DCM will boil lower than the methanol, so it won't be "it shouldnt take long for 6% to evaporate," it will be running the course of 94% distilling out. But if you think about it, you are probably using the DCM to extract your goodies from the wacker, which is contained in about a liter of methanol anyway. So to remove the methanol from the DCM, just to add it back to a methanol solution is kinda pointless.

The leading cause of cancer in labrats is scientific research.

wyndowlicker

ok bees!
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2002, 09:35:00 PM »
need some help here.Has that scrubber been found to bee acceptable for dcm substitution?Also that ____-on stuff has a 3,4 and 2007 anyone here know whick one is the magic number? :P

I will choke untill I swallow!Who are you to judge or strike me down!Miss you Kerra!