Author Topic: Microwave Extraction of Volatile Oils:Carrying On?  (Read 1887 times)

methyl_ethyl

Microwave Extraction of Volatile Oils:Carrying On?
« on: August 18, 2003, 04:28:00 AM »
I have been thinking about experimenting with some novel methods of essential oil extraction.  I stumbled upon this in my research.  Quite interesting.... I find that PolytheneSam made reference to these patents in one of his posts.  He is no longer here, and Half-A-Pint is no longer with us.  Has anyone else been working on developing these methods?

Patent US5338557

Microwave extraction of volatile oils

Inventors:  Pare; J. R. Jocelyn (Gloucester, CA) 
Assignee:  Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada, as represented by the Minister (Ottawa, CA) 
  • Notice:  The portion of the term of this patent subsequent to March 26, 2008 has been disclaimed.
Appl. No.:  029358
Filed:  March 10, 1993

Abstract:
There is disclosed a method and apparatus for extraction of essential and other such oils from plant and animal biological matter by exposure to microwave energy. The method involves exposure of microwaves to the oil containing cellular matter of the glandular system to extract the oil into a suitable non-aqueous organic medium after disruption of the oil containing cellular matter. The apparatus includes microwave applicators, solvent and starting material, storage means and multiple stages of treatment resulting in a high quality extracted product.

Patent US5458897

Microwave-assisted extraction from materials containing organic matter

Inventors:  Pare; J. R. Jocelyn (Gloucester, CA) 
Assignee:  Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada, as represented by the Minister (Gloucester, CA) 
Appl. No.:  289544
Filed:  August 12, 1994

Abstract
There is disclosed a method and apparatus for extraction of various substances from plant and animal and other material containing organic matter by exposure to microwave energy. The method involves exposure to microwaves of the material containing organic matter and a component which absorbs microwaves to disrupt the microstructure and to extract the substances into a suitable non-aqueous organic medium after disruption of the microstructure. The apparatus includes microwave applicators, solvent and starting material storage means and multiple stages of treatment resulting in a high quality extracted product.

Rhodium

[patent] tag
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 07:06:00 AM »
There is no need for you to provide a link to the patent, as the [patent] tag takes care of that for you.