Author Topic: SciFinder  (Read 2406 times)

Chromic

SciFinder
« on: December 12, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
How do I use SciFinder to find the solubility properties of a given substance (AmCl, MeAmCl)? I get how to pull up the references containing properties, but how do I successfully narrow my search from there? Full text searching with terms like methanol, ethanol come up with some really bizarre refs. (one of you more "graduated" bees must be able to explain it to me...)

And, can someone give me an idea on how to accurately measure those quantities? Would the best idea to be to weigh a piece of filter paper... then add a known weight of excess AmCl, and 100g of boiling solvent to a flask, reflux, gravity filter solvent, evaporate the excess solvent and then be left with the weight? That seems sort of OK, but I feel as tho I'm missing something. Didn't someone post data of AmCl solubility in n-BuOH/IPA/EtOH/MeOH? I can't find it in the search engine tho.

Acme

Re: SciFinder
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2001, 10:01:00 PM »
Maybee look in the Merck index

Chromic

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2001, 05:12:00 AM »
I think I need to go to the CRC, Perry's etc. The Merck doesn't have the info, SciFinder is a pain to use because it gives so many references.. I thought of another way to run the experiment, easier is to drip the solvent into the refluxing solid. I found ammonium chloride to be about 4g/100g methanol at reflux, about 2.5g/100g methanol around freezing temperatures. Good news I guess. Time to run the experiment with methylamine. I'm hoping for 40g/100g...

Xgoddess

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
To get a precise bit of info using Sci Finder, go to "refine search" and select the type of info that is pertinent to what you want. otherwise you can get 10000 hits.

terbium

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2001, 08:32:00 PM »
Since you are feeling so enthusiastic - do you have a pH meter? It would be very interesting if someone with a pH meter would perform titrations on methylamine prepared in various manners (e.g. with and without extraction/crystallization from alcohol) to determine the amount of ammonium chloride in the product.

It is still my contention that methylamine hydrochloride prepared using the multi-stage evaporation workup of Vogel will be, say, 95+% methylamine and will not, for our uses, need recrystallization.

In other cases I have chastized others for cutting corners and not cleaning product but this is one of the cases where I think it is quite practical to skip the alcohol extraction/crytallization.