Author Topic: Determining an arbitrary R Prime  (Read 2814 times)

badbody

Determining an arbitrary R Prime
« on: May 12, 2003, 11:11:00 PM »
If one  needed R-functional group-R prime, where one R group is definite and the second is semi-arbitrary, is there an easy way to find possible targets? There are many possible reactions where this situation could be encountered.  Are there and resourses for finding commercially available reactants, (hopefully cheap and plentiful) out of the endless list of possible molecules, other than  naming and searching, or planning for an ideal work-up?

bones

well... depending on the specific reaction,...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 03:47:00 AM »
well... depending on the specific reaction, the composition of R' may or may not be important ... perhaps you could elaborate more... im many cases, R groups (and R' and R'') are used to indicate general reactions ... however that certainly doesnt necessaryly mean that the product will be the same regardless of the semiarbitary R'.  ...

as for reactants... once you know what reactants you are after.. search on google or whatever for there uses... and look around for products that contain them... i dont think theres a database or anything like that... but there might be for common things... ..so basically i dont really no... if your reply with something more specific for the first part of your question i can possible give some more specific advice :D

cheers... goodluck

badbody

An Example
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 03:14:00 PM »
As you know, there's allota scenarios that this could apply to.  A example could be the ozonolysis/reduction sequence cleaving an alkene, to yield  aldehydes and or ketones.  I guess the original question was directed at some kind of database facilitating searching all viable options in hope of finding the best available precursor.  Thanks for the reply.

Rhodium

Such animals do exist
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
Many database search interfaces (such as Beilstein or SciFinder) do include features such as including arbitrary R- groups when performing a search.

bones

yeah ok.. scifinders great...
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 01:17:00 AM »
yeah ok.. scifinders great... but hardly excessibly to everyone... i dont know what the best free online alternative is...i know w*w.orgsyn.org lets you search reaction types... but its a limited database... so... yeah.. once again i dont know :D .. sorry.

Rhodium

US libraries
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 03:53:00 AM »
scifinders great... but hardly excessibly to everyone...

Aren't the chem libraries at US universities open to everyone who wants to search for something?