Author Topic: glycerol separation  (Read 3423 times)

skanic

glycerol separation
« on: July 12, 2004, 03:10:00 AM »
i have a solution of alcohol, water and GLYCEROL(glycerine).
and, i wanna extract the glycerol,
but it is very soluble in both water n ethanol.
i tought to neutralise it with soap then filter but i think it's a bad idea.
Does anyone can tell me in which glycerine is insoluble or any other method to extract or neutralise it.

Rhodium

Distillation is an excellent idea
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 03:17:00 AM »
Distillation is an excellent idea. The alcohol will distill at ~78°C, any remaining water at ~100°C and the glycerol, having a bp of ~290°C will remain. Do not try to distill the glycerol itself without a vacuum, or it might decompose.

skanic

it s the contrary
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 06:03:00 AM »
:( excuse me, i didn't explained myself very well ,what i want is the glycerol to go out, not the contrary.
i don't want to distill alcohol n water, i want to extract the glycerol (with an other solvent or make it solid then filter) .

Osmium

Good luck!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 06:12:00 AM »
Distillation is the only way to separate them.

Stupid question:
Why do you want the glcerol? And why don't you simply buy some?

Nicodem

What are brains for?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »
This thread is so funny. ;D

Distilation is a separation method. A separation of a mixture divides it into components. If you want glycerol than disstiling ethanol/water off will give you glycerol separated!

i want to extract the glycerol (with an other solvent or make it solid then filter)

What the hell does this mean? How can you make glycerol solid? Freeze it with liquid nitrogen or what?

ApprenticeCook

Yeah im with nicodem this is just strange...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 06:40:00 AM »
Yeah im with nicodem this is just strange...

You have water/alcohol/gycerol mix... disto will seperate them but there is no solvent to add to the mix to seperate them, all components are of the same type and will be soluble in the same solvents... ie no way to solvate gycerol from the others....

as its been said, go buy it, its everywhere, or degrade some soap or olive oil? and get it that way, both would be a pain in the ass and not get you very much glycerol, not to mention the purity level....  ::)

-AC

skanic

excuse me i explained myself badly.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 06:46:00 AM »
excuse me i explained myself badly.
i dont want the glycerol.
i need to separate it from a solution of water/alcohol which contain codeine.but dont want to fuck up the codeine with a distilatiom (i expect powder when it dry, not paste).
and i tought glycerol with soap coul make a triester that i could easily extract.
excuse me i dont know well chemistry

Nicodem

What a question!?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 02:11:00 PM »
Now it is not that funny anymore, it's getting stupid. ::)

Firtst explain why did you want to separete glycerol out if you are after codeine. Then explain why do you think we could read your mind. Then at least give a minimal amount of data needed (the ratio of the components!).

I expect a very complex explanation so I'l just explain you what to do. First get the alcohol out by disstiling the <95°C fraction. I asume it's a codeine salt that we are talking, right? So, then basify with NaHCO3 (or Na2CO3, NaOH, KOH or ammonia; to pH~10). Extract with toluene (or ether, DCM...) and then salt the codeine freebase out by one of the standard methods (I don't know which salt is the best to have for codeine, UTFSE for that).

ApprenticeCook

Is that what you were asking???
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 11:00:00 PM »
Is that what you were asking??? gees if you said that straight up you could have avoided such a long thread.

You need to provide info as stated by nicodem, otherwise most wont bother replying and the ones who do wont be able to answer properly....

I was thinking you had glycerol, water and alcohol mix only, was wondering why it was such a big deal to you how the seperation of these fractions is.... ffs.

-AC

skanic

we will begin again
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 06:15:00 AM »
ok :( , i have glycerol mixed with codeine .
how can i separate them to have codeine powder ?

jsorex

Codeine freebase will dissolve well into ...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 11:59:00 AM »
Codeine freebase will dissolve well into chorinated solvents and you probaly want to have the salt as one of the phosphates.