Author Topic: Home Made Dual Switch Box for about 15 bucks.  (Read 2948 times)

opposite2eve

Home Made Dual Switch Box for about 15 bucks.
« on: July 23, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »
The following is what SWIM uses to control his Vac and Water Pump easily all on his desktop and it looks pretty too!

Take your Stinger to your favorite Home Improvement Store and buy the following:

1) Two Gang box should be about a buck.
2) 3 Way Switch with two switch flippers (look at picture)!
  - Most expensive part SWIMs was about 8 bucks
3) 2 Outlet receptacle. About 70 cents.
4) Cheap Extension Cord. About $1.50
5) Cover Plate (if you want). 20 cents?

Wire everything according to the following diagram.  Red is your hot wire black is the opposite.  Ground the whole thing according to the ground wire you provide and the one thats green in your receptacle.  Usually ground screws are green hot is black and gold is the white wire.  When dealing with AC current it really doesnt matter so long as you dont use ground for 1 of the alternating current lines!  Just make sure only hot wire is running through the switch portion.  The diagram is pretty self explanatory.  SWIM used wire he cut off the extension cord to wire the internals of his box and then hooked up everything to the extension cord he purchased.

This makes for an easy to operate switchable outlet for those fridge pumps or water pumps or anything else you plug in.  SWIM likes how it looks and likes the ease of operation.  Top switch is top plug and the latter is obvious.

Feel free to post with any questions and I will ask SWIM for an answer.

opposite2eve

More than 2 Switches
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »
Remember Bess you can get more switches and a bigger box and wire multiple switches doing similar wiring!  Any bees tried this yet? 

Was hoping there would be more of a reaction to this nice method of controlling power to your equipment.

OcoteaCymbarum

Install a dimmer on that setup
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »
And you can control your heating mantle very precisely.

I built one just like it, hooked a 600W dimmer for lights, all built in a nice little box. Its perfect to fine control any heating mantle you got, built for 10 bucks, it kicks ass and is much cheaper then the variacs they use for heating mantle.

Aurelius

OcoteaCymbarum
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »
Post a picture- It would be nice to have a complete 10-100g scale lab setup with all features diagrammed-out and illustrations for setup and installation.

OcoteaCymbarum

Will do
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 11:44:00 AM »
as soon as I get a cam. Mine stopped working for some reason. I want to make a decent post about it with the proper schematics. There are some optionnal things on it like a light and a 10amp fuse so I want to make sure its clear, in a couple of days
Oc