Author Topic: glycine -> MeAm  (Read 2266 times)

user1634

glycine -> MeAm
« on: July 09, 2000, 01:13:00 AM »
There were a number of posts on the old board about the glycine ->methylamine reaction...but no rightup on rhod's site!? (ref:search for 'glycine' by hellman under the old novel forum)

Was is a failure in the end? Inferior to current methods? yada yada yada...
A quick search of the new hive comes up blank as far as i can find?

Alphabeta121

Re: glycine -> MeAm
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2000, 09:05:00 AM »
i think the tide has turned from hexamine degradation to MeNH2 to the more elegant in situ Nitromethane reduction, alla MM's reductive amination.

alphabeta121

Prdy2GO

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2001, 07:03:00 PM »
I just had to bring up this old post. After searching endlessly for an answer to the question does this or has anyone worked a method to methylamine from glycine?

Don't look at me I didn't do it!

PolytheneSam

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2001, 07:52:00 PM »
One advantage might be that you can get anydrous methylamine  in this process which can be used in alcohol solutions. 

Post 108611 (missing)

(dormouse: "methylamine via glycine(Amino acid) (Page 1) -hellman", Novel Discourse)

Here's an example of the decarboxylation process using sodium acetate to make methane.  Note also the process for making fused sodium acetate which is used in other processes.  I put the top of the next page at the bottom of the page shown below, too (under the footnote).  Try it out and tell us how it works.

http://www.geocities.com/dritte123/PSPF.html

Prdy2GO

Like pulling teeth Re: glycine -> MeAm
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
Thank you PolytheneSam,

Some times it is like pulling teeth to get a stright answer out of the hive.
I have done an exaustive search priror to my post and do not have the time at the moment to experiment with a route to Methylamine when I already haveĀ  other ways to go. So I am to infer that NO ONE HAS HAD SUCCESS IN GLYCINE TO METHYLAMINE??? Ifyou have please post how it was done or PM me thank you.

Don't look at me I didn't do it!

Rhodium

Like pulling teeth Re: glycine -> MeAm
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2001, 07:02:00 PM »
As far as I have seen, there has only been discussions about it, and noone trying it out.