Author Topic: Steam Distillation for idiots??  (Read 1980 times)

london

Steam Distillation for idiots??
« on: May 21, 2003, 07:03:00 PM »
Hi I have posted a question on how to extract Thujone from Sage. I was answered to do "Steam distil it just like every other essential oil we know and love. "  and after "You'll need to fractionally vacuum distill if you are looking for thujone alone (99%+ pure).  "

Can anyone explain what the hell is steam distilation for me, and how to do it. I don't quite know these techniques and what they mean.

Thanks

calcium

May I suggest a search engine?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 01:17:00 AM »
There are search engines on the internet which love to provide useful information on many topics of interest. Steam distillation and fractional distillation are undoubtedly amongst them.

Castortrip

Steam distillation requires probrably the most
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 03:45:00 PM »
Steam distillation requires probrably the most basic essentials of lab equipment...I don't want to sound like a dickhead flamer but from one beezer to the next, UTFSE™ and sit on your ass and read about anything and everything you can get your hands on at The Hive™ rhodium.ws too! cause if your trying to make MDMA, and your asking about steam distillin'...you'll post another 200 posts asking questions where every answer will be UTFSE lol. but then again...if your serious about this, reading ain't a task, it's a privelage

I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you!

Jubrail

Rhodium's site
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 04:36:00 PM »
There are at least 3 distillation-related articles under the heading Chemicals and Equipment on Rhodium's site and one under multimedia.  The site is www.Rhodium.ws.  Read these articles, especially the one entitled basic lab techniques.  Then you'll learn how to recrystallize, too.  From now on check his site first, then search the Hive, then search the 'net, then ask for clarification.  Also, just to satisfy yourself, go research thujone.  look it up on chemfinder and in any book that might have (think Merck index).  A trip to the library would be worthwhile.  Unthoughtout posts are best kept to the Couch and the other 3 non-chemistry forums.  That's why this is one of the few posts of mine you will find in the chem forums.  Ain't got much to say, 99% of questions can be answered by searching.

chiliuno

steam distillation is simply runing steam...
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 05:13:00 PM »
steam distillation is simply runing steam through a material that has a compound you want.  the steam carries away the desired compound to a condenser where the steam is than cooled to a liquid and -presto- you have water + your desired compound in the flask at the other end.
using the search engine will help trenmendously with understanding this process, but buying some lab equipment and practicing is the only way to really get mastery.
good luck, and btw, i'd leave the fractional distillation alone untill you get good at the basics.

london

Thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 06:11:00 PM »
Thank you all. I have searched before asking about Throjune, and wasn't stasfied enough (it is a very unkown chemichel, I only found about 3 researched about it and they were not that helpfull) and about the proccess.
I searched for the meaning but haven't really found something that would help.
But now after all you'll help (links and info) I'm sure It will be just fine.
Thanks again for all the responses.