Author Topic: Turps formed two layers  (Read 3446 times)

12cheman12

Turps formed two layers
« on: July 17, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »
Swim was working on some white 60s
He decided to start with a 24hour Mineral Turp soak.
After the 24 hours the whole pill mass and Turps was dumped in a filter and left to sort it self out.
As more liquid started collecting in the bottom it started to form two layers!  >:(
Ive never seen this before, there is now a 50/50 mix of two layers. (like a Polar and a non Polar)
But the mineral tuprs he used was 100% turps, it was even dried to make sure of no water so im guessing the two layers are made from some gak?
Im guessing it can only be good, but swim would like to know what it is.

Does anyone know what it is, ive UTSE but couldnt find anything at all.

Shane_Warne

That's pretty odd kemmy.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
That's pretty odd kemmy.

Are you sure nothing went on that you forgot about?

try smelling each layer maybe?

wareami

Separate and evap....
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 06:26:00 PM »
Use a pipette/eyedropper and take sample drops from each layer. Put on a watchglass and evap.
See whatcha got.

12cheman12

I can guarantee you that the only thing went...
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 05:21:00 AM »
I can guarantee you that the only thing went in was mineral turps.
Both layers smell like turps and nothing else, i evaped a bit of the layers and pseudo was in their :S
Im going to the evap both layers on dif evap plates and see what i got.
Weird shit man.

wareami

One oily...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »
It sounds as if a separation of polymers and pfed was accomplished. The encapsulators are still present however, albeit in the liquid form.
This is why tetra works so well as a pre-wash.
It will carry away the encapsulator polys.
Chembee12: You had a post not long ago that posed the question pertaining to not seeing any benefits from tetra or turps washes because nothing could be seen floating around in solution afterward.
Most of the foilers are smaller than the eye can see, but they can bee seen in a mass.
Here is a challenge!
Take a box of goodies and crush em UP fine.
Do a tetrawash of the pillmass and collect the tetra in a small jar by putting the whole mess through a single filter and squeezing off the excess tetra.
Swirl the tetra/poly's and you'll see nothing!
Let the poly infused tetra set for 2 days and then swirl.
You'll bee amazed at what you see!
Today tetra alone is not very effective at battling an army of co-polymer gaaks but for alky extractions in combination with other solvents, tetra is still regarded as an indispensible tool as it attracts polymers that other solvents won't touch.

While it's time consuming for the most part, evaporating solutions is sometimes the only surefire way of discovering what you are dealing with.
So many questions on the board could be answered before being asked, with a simple evap of the substance/solution!
Just a little reminder!
Many bees think they need to know what they are looking for by performing a certain procedure during extractions.
Not so if you're the bee doing the pioneering!
When in doubt...EVAP!
Then you tell us ;)

12cheman12

Well ware i bet ya to it, first thing i always
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 04:00:00 PM »
Well ware i bet ya to it, first thing i always do is evap!
You never know whats going on these days.

The two layer mineral turp solution sat over night and in the morning there was an interface that if it was a post rxn workup the meth gods would be extremely proud.
Both liquids looked exactly the same, perfectly clear, but there was a seperation.
The top layer evaped and gave nothing.
The bottom layer evaped and game amazing FB crystals  :o
I took a butn test of these crystals and YUP the orange gak was there.
So now swim is gonna do some Short Path Distillation.

My guess would be the pills had some basifying agent in it. All good but, i wanted FB to try some SPD so its all good  8)

wareami

Orange Gaak?
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »
Chemman: Don't mistake the yellow oil for orangegaak or you'll be thrust back to the drawing board with a quickness! :-[  :P
While it's common to mistake the two, they require different removal strategy's and the yellow is hardest to detect.
Ibee's only had success with yellowoil removal by dissolving everything together(pfed/Y-oil) and allowing the y-oil to fall to the bottom, then removing the bottom layer.
The Y-Oil is the heaviest component in any solution ;)

12cheman12

Well no matter what swim dissolves his pfed...
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 06:39:00 AM »
Well no matter what swim dissolves his pfed in, the yellow/orange dissolves with it, nothing falls to the bottom.
So im guessing its just orange gak?
But distilling will still do the trick right?

clandestine

try this
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »
Try  mixing the entire shebang into a large pile of sodium carbonate until its dry looking.. then spray it down with tetra until its damp..   heat up some Vm&p naptha in a seperate flask or bottle and pour it on the mass when its nice and steamy hot..   add a few tablespoons of water and shake or stir the shit out of it...  then fine filter it and chill the naptha...  FB crystals should form within 2 hours of being the freezer.

its a crude deal but it should work... sodium carbonate wont overbase and it will make sure all your salt is changed into a FB when the tetra is added...    

Using Vm&p naptha is the entire ticket here to avoiding those gaks that have been fucking up many tetra traps...   utilizing napthas shitty solvent abilities to only dissolve the fb meth when its hot and dropping it when its chilled...  Naptha is a shitty solvent for gakks at any temprature...  it becomes a decent for pseudo/meth only when its hot...  that becomes apparent when it drops out pure FB crystals in the freezer... lol

Try it and your gaky problems will disappear.

12cheman12

yeah clandestine, thats just called the tetra...
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
yeah clandestine, thats just called the tetra trap is it not?
The latest gak still comes through that, if ur gettin clean pseudo from that i doubt it will be lasting much longer.