Author Topic: Polystyrene foam and acetone ==> P2P  (Read 26248 times)

Shane_Warne

I can't imagine they'll know.
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2004, 10:02:00 PM »
I can't imagine they'll know. Well I certainly don't.

I think you could bee right about a reflux being sufficient though, if the pressure is only required for a slightly higher temperature.

The only thing is, that everytime SWIM has used a ghetz condensor, even with a balloon, and H2S has been produced, it seems to come straight through the balloon.  ::)

Without a balloon it would reek. (even worse)

DrLucifer

Sorry guys, but it doesnt look like my sulphur
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »
Sorry guys, but it doesnt look like my sulphur is going to arrive today... :(  Not happy Jan!!  >:(
Looks like swim can only play with styrene this weekend!
Over and out guys, swim will be under radar for a few days, possibly more, so in the meantime...take it sleazy!  :P

wareami

Hmmmm
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2004, 07:11:00 AM »

Hey, LWR meth bees! What kind of temperature differential can you get from the bottom of the reaction vessel to the top of the refluxing solvent in the condenser? Greater than 15 degrees? Let's hear it!

ning: I serious doubt that the temp would fluxuate 15°C from the bottom of the reactants (closest to heat source) to the reactant surface....
Since I've never measured the temp of those two points, I can't say for sure but would be surprised if even 10°C difference was recorded.
This of course would depend on size of rxn and vessel shape/size...ie...how deep the reactant pool.

geezmeister

top to bottom?
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2004, 07:26:00 AM »
I'm not sure of your question. If its whether there is a more than fifteen degree C difference between the flask contents and the temperature of the condensate at the point where it condenses inside the condenser the answer is yes. You can have that much difference in temperature bottom to top. The difference between the flask contents and the temperature of the bath the flask is in frequently exceeds 20C, and I assume a good part of that difference is the cooling effect of the condensed liquid dripping back into the flask.

Shane_Warne

p2e3r4f5e6c7t8, your right, I haven't looked...
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »
p2e3r4f5e6c7t8, your right, I haven't looked very hard for EtOH, I could fractionally distill vodka, but I doubt Ill bother, as I think it will work with either 96% EtOH/4& pyridine or 96% EtOH/4% MeOH.

As for AcOH, it's good to learn new skills...Plus, if you read the post title, it states that what will bee discussed in the main, is P2P from polystyrene foam and acetone.

wareami

Yikes...
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »
Man that'll teach me not to reply to anything before I've had my coffee.
Sorry ning...I misread your question.
Geez musta had his coffee though cause his answer makes tons more sense than mine.
I'll be over standing in that corner! ::)

pink_dust_angel

check this out
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2004, 07:13:00 PM »

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/phenylacetamide

the link seems to suggest phenylacetamide is an anelgesic unless its talking about an isomer, fuc knows.just novel i thought

Astrum

easy source
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »
Styrene monomer is actually a very easy thing to source in itself. SWIM worked quite a bit with plastics and styrene monomer is used to thin polyester resins. It's sold by the gallon for around $30 USD at many places. This would definetely be a cleaner starting material than comming from polystyrene cups (probably cheaper too  :) ).

SWIM will pick up a gallon or two and experiment.

Astrum

One question
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »
Well swim picked up some styrene monomer and will experiment as soon as swim can get some sulfur and ammonium hydroxide.

Anyway, swim has a question. Would it be possible to go from phenylacetamide to phenylacetone without going to phenylacetic acid first? For instance deaminating phenylacetamide and methylamine at the same time giving phenylacetyl radicals and methyl radicals which would combine to produce phenylacetone? SWIM's sure that wouldn't actually work, but you get what swim's trying to say. If one could go directly from phenylacetamide to phenylacetone the overall yield would most likely be higher and the problem with going from phenylacetic acid to phenylacetone easily would be solved (assuming the phenylacetamide to phenylacetone procedure is OTC). SWIM hasn't found any such procedure like this yet, but swim is still hopeful.

WizardX

Organolithium reagents
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »

Would it be possible to go from phenylacetamide to phenylacetone without going to phenylacetic acid first?

YES! Tertiary amides + organomagnesium or organolithium reagents give aldehydes or ketones.

C(=O)-N(-CH3)2  means tertiary amide.

C6H5CH2C(=O)-N(-CH3)2 + CH3MgCl ==[then HCl hydrolysis]==> phenylacetone + MgCl2 + HN(CH3)2

C6H5CH2C(=O)-N(-CH3)2 + CH3Li ==[then HCl hydrolysis]==> phenylacetone + LiCl + HN(CH3)2

Organolithium reagents give the best yield to synthesis ketones from tertiary amide.

Another route is this with 88% yield.

CH3C(=O)-N(-CH3)2 + C6H5CH2Li  ==[then HCl hydrolysis]==> phenylacetone + LiCl + HN(CH3)2