Author Topic: Ignorant fella's quey re. acetone  (Read 2401 times)

johnny_toxic

Ignorant fella's quey re. acetone
« on: July 10, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »
Swim hates to admit it but his only connexions are "street" hook-ups with "street" gear.
In order to rid the gear of impurities, Swim stretches a piece of nylon type stocking over a bowl, pours his grit onto the now taut stocking, and drips acetone onto it.
Swim baby (as he is fond of being called) then lets it evaporate, repeats the process, and finally collects up whatever is left on the stocking (crystal see-thru white 'n' yummy, though its usually only 3 or 4 5ths of the original amount) and smokes/eats/snorts that. After full evap., of course.
Is this a wise thing to do? ::)  :-[

Unobtainium

it's better than doing nothing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 10:16:00 PM »
And stop calling it grit.

grandpa

Did you consider drying acetone first?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 12:47:00 AM »
Did you consider drying acetone first? (Don't even think about asking, UTSFE first)

Maybe you'll be able to retrieve some more,
on more hint: use COLD acetone.

(.. and stop calling it grit)

Red_Crown

Nylon tends to dissolve in acetone.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 02:06:00 AM »
Nylon tends to dissolve in acetone.

If your acetone has any water in it (most OTC has a little), there will be some of your goods in the bowl. which you could reclaim by letting it evaporate, but now it will also have some nylon dissolved in it. There could even be some nylon stuck on the bottom of the stuff in your "filter".  (Cotton or paper-based filters are preferred.)

Plus, nylon panty-hose aren't very fine filters. If you want to be washing your shit properly, it should be thoroughly crushed, and this wouldn't do very well in a coarse filter..

3 Pieces of Advice:
***Dry your acetone with baked/microwaved epsom salts. (Look it up.)
**Pulverize your street-bought gear, put it in a bowl, and utilize the panning method. (Or, essentially, just add acetone, mix for a second, let it settle, then carefully decant-off all of the acetone.) Do this twice.
*Give recrystallization a try sometime..

Unobtainium

hose
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 02:19:00 AM »
I'm assuming his "nylon type" whatever he's using isn't real nylon or he would have found that out the first time.

methymouse

A/B
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 10:18:00 AM »
You might also want to do an acid/base extraction to remove non-amine cutting agents.  Again, look it up as it is probably the most overdiscussed noobie/idiot question asked on this forum.  In the unlikely event that I wanted to purify street meth I had purchased, I would  probably do an acid/base extraction, and then 2-3 recrystalizations (look that up too).  You'll lose more of your precious product, but, hey, it's your brain.

And for God's sake, stop calling it grit.  Call it N-methyl phenylisopropylamine or meth or methamphetamine or even "crank" so we know what the fuck you are talking about.