Author Topic: HOW THEY MAKE ICE  (Read 7077 times)

geezmeister

[smile]
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »
:)

I passed on that one, Buster. It was too obvious.

I just had to leave it for you.

CharlieBigpotato

in a dream of re-crys:
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 03:00:00 PM »
once upon a time, swimmy had some not quite right powder, which  he dissolved in near boiling water, drop-wize, adding onl one extra drop; followed by several drops of acetone.

looking real close at this little puddle, swim could see all this wiggly motion...it reminded him of brownian motion on a larger scale...and the motion was carrying tiny particles of crud to the outside perimeter of the puddle. this was mere seconds beefore the liquid beecame not liquid.

may have been strictly a gravity related phenomenae, except for the wigglyness.

SHORTY

How about this?
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 08:08:00 PM »
After recrystalization i throw the shards in a mortar and grind them to a very fine powder.  I do this because i use a little stainless steel spoon and got tired of trying to get the shards to the pipe without dropping them. It is also makes it easier to eyeball the correct dose.

micro

Don't know about the Meskins but here's how...
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »
Don't know about the Meskins but here's how the hands in Texas might do it or at least thats what swim has heard anyway.They take their N/P containing the FB and drop or adjust the ph to somewhere between a 9-10.They then take the NP/FB solution and pour into a suitable container such as Pyrex or Visionware and set that in the middle of a good size cooler. They then pack dry ice/carbon dioxide/co2 along with rock salt/sodium chloride/NaCl around the container.Then the drain plug on the side of the cooler is opened to assure proper venting while the lid on top is closed.The CO2/NaCl mixture will considerably slow down the rate of which the NP evaporates which in return yields the crystals.Of course swim does not engage in such activity.

hsark

Hey
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2004, 02:51:00 PM »
Is that a missprint? Or is there a reason for the ph 9-10.