Author Topic: nitrating 3-iodo-PMA  (Read 4171 times)

pickle11

nitrating 3-iodo-PMA
« on: November 28, 2002, 01:34:00 PM »
would there be any danger in nitrating 3-iodo-PMA? I know NI3 is very explosive.   I am not enough of a chemist to know if anything dangerous would be formed.  My guess is 3-iodo,4-methoxy,5-nitroamphetamine would be the product.  Any chance it would be any good?

Rhodium

NI 3 won't form, so that is irrelevant.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 01:40:00 PM »
NI3 won't form, so that is irrelevant. There would be no other dangers than the usual ones, like the corrosive nature of the nitric acid. I don't think the yields will be especially good though, the starting material not being especially activated. I wouldn't expect the product to be very interesting either.

pickle11

better chance?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 01:47:00 PM »
if you made an amphetamine from eugenol, and put it into a birch, I would think you would get 3-methoxyamphetamine.  Would nitration or iodination of that be easier or yield a more promising product?

Rhodium

What are you trying to achieve?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 02:27:00 PM »
What are you trying to achieve?

pickle11

something useful to do with anethole and eugenol.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 03:09:00 PM »
something useful to do with anethole and eugenol.  So cheap and easy to get.

GC_MS

TFSE
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 03:37:00 PM »
TFSE contains information about synthesizing halo-PM(M)A derivatives. Even bioassayed...

Ave Hive, synthetisandi te salutant!

Rhodium

Eugenol to something useful
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2002, 04:31:00 PM »
What about

Post 381882

(GC_MS: "Eugenol -> elemicin and myristicin", Novel Discourse)
if you are interested in TMA/Mescaline or MMDA-2?

Can't you make use of anything in

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/eugenol.mdma.html

either?

If you alkylate Eugenol with ethyl- or allyl-bromide, you get precursors for compounds said to be Mood Enhancers at ~300mg. UTFSE for details.

pickle11

3C-AL from eugenol?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 09:05:00 AM »
The Problem for me is getting those chemicals.  Your site has stuff on vanillin that looks easy enough.  I dont kow the physics of whether it would work to substitue isoeugenol.  It would be best if 3-methoxy-4-hydroxyamphetamine could be used as the starting point (none of the ethylated benzene would be wasted in oxone oxidation).  Here is what I was wondering:

In this article, from rhodiums page, vanillin is iodinated:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/iodovanillin.html

-----------------------------------------------------------
5-Iodovanillin (JCS 3740-3741 (1958))
12.6g Iodine was added in 4 portions during 30 min to a rapidly stirred suspension of 7.5g vanillin in 200mL H2O containing 5g NaHCO3 and 10g KI. Stirring was continued for 3h and the mixture left overnight. The filtered product was washed with dilute Na2S2O3 and H2O and dried at 45°C (11.8g, mp 175°C). Crystallised from EtOH(aq), it had mp 180°C.
------------------------------------------------------------
vanillin mol wt. 152.14
isoeugenol mol wt. 164.20
eugenol amphetamine mol wt. 181.22
so i would guess:
5-iodo-isoeugenol (or eugenol amphetamine)
12.6g Iodine was added in 4 portions during 30 min to a rapidly stirred suspension of 8.09g isoeugenol (or 13.4g eugenol amphetamine) in 200mL H2O containing 5g NaHCO3 and 10g KI. Stirring was continued for 3h and the mixture left overnight.

The filtered product was washed with dilute Na2S2O3 and H2O and dried at 45°C (Something else would probably be necessary)
yielding 5-iodo-isoeugenol (mol wt. 291.1) (or 3-methoxy-4,5-dihydroxyamphetamine (mol wt. 308.12))

then another article says

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/345-tmb.html

-----------------------------------------------------------
3,5-Dimethoxy-4-Hydroxybenzaldehyde (Syringaldehyde)
In a two-necked round-bottomed flask equipped with a Claisen, and a thermomether into the solution, is dissolved 4.9g Na in 100mL dry methanol. After distilling off 30ml methanol, a solution of 17,9g bromovanilin and 3g Cu(I)Br in 50mL DMF is added in one portion. The distillation is continued until the reaction mixture reaches 100°C (takes app. 1-1.5 h. total methanol distilled off is 80mL). The reaction mixture is poured into 200mL 3M HCL/ice, extracted with 2*75mL EtOAc, the EtOAc is washed with 2*50mL water, dried with MgSO4 and evaporated. Mp.108°C (rec. from ethanol) TLC Rf 0,35 EtOAc:P 1:1
------------------------------------------------------------
 If you substitute iodoisoeugenol or iodo eugenol amphetamine for bromovanillin:
3,5dimethoxy-4-hydroxypropenylbenzene (or 3,5DM-4OHA)
In a two-necked round-bottomed flask equipped with a Claisen, and a thermomether into the solution, is dissolved 4.9g Na in 100mL dry methanol. After distilling off 30ml methanol, a solution of 22.4g 5-iodo-isoeugenol (or 23.7g 3-methoxy-4hydroxy-5-iodo amphetamine) and 3g Cu(I)Br in 50mL DMF is added in one portion. The distillation is continued until the reaction mixture reaches 100°C (takes app. 1-1.5 h. total methanol distilled off is 80mL). The reaction mixture is poured into 200mL 3M HCL/ice, extracted with 2*75mL EtOAc, the EtOAc is washed with 2*50mL water, dried with MgSO4 and evaporated.

this could then be reacted with allyl bromide to yield 3C-AL

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal002.shtml

1. I know in pihkal it said that 34dma was difficult to brominate would eugenol amphetamine be hard to iodinate.

2.  In step 2 could an equimolar amount of lithium (1.47g) be used instead of Na(4.9g)

3.  Should Cu(I)I be used instead of Cu(I)Br

4.  If nothing else, could 3-methoxy-4-ethoxy be formed by ethoxylating the amphetamine, or do you have to do that as a phenylpropanoid.

Rhodium

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2002, 10:33:00 AM »
First I must say that you are a great role-model for all the other newbees here, in that you are asking your questions in a very structured form, making it very easy to reply clearly, and you are also linking to all the reactions you are asking about, so that the ones who answer doesn't have to use the search engine themselves, just to be able to review what is being discussed. Also, the questions you are asking are valid, and not obvious things found everywhere in the archives or so. 

1. I know in pihkal it said that 34dma was difficult to brominate would eugenol amphetamine be hard to iodinate.

No, "eugenol-amphetamine" has a free OH group on the ring, which makes it exceptionally easy to iodinate. Also, you can be completely sure that the iodine will end up next to the OH in the 5-position. See

Post 285579

(foxy2: "3,5-diiodo-4-methoxyphenethylamine", Chemistry Discourse)
- in that article they iodinate tyramine (4-hydroxyphenethylamine) with KI3 which is a relatively weak iodination reagent.

2. In step 2 could an equimolar amount of lithium (1.47g) be used instead of Na(4.9g)

Yes. The purpose of the alkali metal is only to generate a methanolic solution of methoxide ions, it doesn't matter which cation is used. There were even some discussions here 1-2 years ago about using magnesium methoxide, formed by refluxing magnesium metal in methanol with a catalytic amount of iodine.

3.  Should Cu(I)I be used instead of Cu(I)Br

I believe they are interchangeable in this case. If one of them would be more effective, it would be CuI, but I don't think that effect is noticeable in practice, and definitely doesn't warrant the higher cost of CuI.

4. If nothing else, could 3-methoxy-4-ethoxy be formed by ethoxylating the amphetamine, or do you have to do that as a phenylpropanoid.

To be able to alkylate a hydroxy-amphetamine, you would have to protect the nitrogen against alkylation too, and that is cumbersome to do if you have an alternative way of doing it - so yes, definitely do the alkylation reaction first[/b] on the phenylpropanoid.

pickle11

if it works
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2002, 01:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Rhodium.  I am mostly interested in really OTC stuff that anybody can do. 
If this works it could also be a route to
3C-E

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal.025.shtml

and 3C-BZ

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal.021.shtml

which is made with benzyl cloride instead of allyl bromide.  It is described as more powerful than TMA and one user found 150mg to be identical in effect to 100micrograms of LSD

catastrophe

Re: 2. In step 2 could an equimolar amount of ...
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2002, 12:14:00 AM »

2. In step 2 could an equimolar amount of lithium (1.47g) be used instead of Na(4.9g)

Yes. The purpose of the alkali metal is only to generate a methanolic solution of methoxide ions, it doesn't matter which cation is used. There were even some discussions here 1-2 years ago about using magnesium methoxide, formed by refluxing magnesium metal in methanol with a catalytic amount of iodine.

Not too sure if lithium methoxide will work. SWIM had also conceived this before alkoxides became OTC thanks to Antoncho. Maybe Osmium?, stated that the reaction requires a high concentration of methoxide ion, ~ 5M, but the solubility of lithium and magnesium methoxides did not allow for such concentrations to be achieved. Albeit lithium methoxide is much more soluble than magnesium methoxide it might just work, but why bother? UTSE and find Antoncho's post in the novel discourse.

Rhodium, about the allyloxy and methallyloxy compounds, what method of reduction would you recommend, as these are unsaturated groups? Would hydrogenation kill it? How about zinc/HCl? Also, have you had a chance to taste them?

moo

If I recall correctly there were problems with ...
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 12:54:00 AM »
If I recall correctly there were problems with that reaction using sodium methoxide generated with the MeOH/NaOH/CaO method because it was contaminated with hydroxide ions, UTFSE lead me to the thread starting with post

Post 274828

(Natrix: "Vanillin", Chemistry Discourse)
, which seems to give an explanation for the failure.

I also found something that may have been left unnoticed,

Post 236749 (missing)

(foxy2: "This is even better.", Chemistry Discourse)
with a procedure that might help eliminating the sodium hydroxide. It also leaves me confused because one should be doing this if using ethyl acetate in the reaction, which would imply that the reaction conditions should be really anhydrous.

Rhodium

I have not tasted the allyloxy/methallyloxy ...
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 01:01:00 AM »
I have not tasted the allyloxy/methallyloxy compounds personally, unfortunately.

What reduction step are you referring to, when inquiring about the stability of the double bond? When asking if it would stand up to catalytic hydrogenation, that depends on a lot of factors, such as choice of catalyst, hydrogen pressure etc - and I'm no good at hydrogenation theory anyway.

catastrophe

Thanks for your responses
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2002, 08:21:00 PM »
Moo, Antoncho's post also mentioned a way of synthesizing the alkoxide using potassium carbonate in an excess of methanol or ethanol. Forget the CaO method, it's dirty anyways. Also, at the very end of the thread he mentions that a russian bee successfully performed the rxn. Swim will confirm, but maybe instead try sodium carbonate.

Yes, Rhodium, your dislike for hydrogenation and electrochemistry has become quite pronouced to swim! Could you possibly offer a theoretical discussion on what reactions might indeed reduce the double bond on the allyl group? Would Zn/HCl be a good method?

Rhodium

If you WANT to reduce the double bond, you should ...
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2002, 10:46:00 PM »
If you WANT to reduce the double bond, you should probably look into CoCl2/NaBH4 for example. Are you looking for a way of turning the allyloxy into a propoxy?

catastrophe

No, swim does not want to reduce the allyl group ...
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2002, 12:14:00 AM »
No, swim does not want to reduce the allyl group at all. Swim just wants a safe way of reducing the nitrostyrene without reducing the double bond on the allyl group. (sorry, the swim's previous post was a little confusing) A procedure utilizing hydrogenation would be most desirable, but it was believed that hydrogenation would also saturate the double bond in the allyl group. So then a reduction using Zn/HCl would be the next most desirable method. Again, sorry for the ambiguity. Any suggestion that you may have would really be appreciated Rhodium. Thanks.

Osmium

Allylethers are rearranged to the ...
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2002, 05:33:00 PM »
Allylethers are rearranged to the 'propenylethers' by Pd/C, this results in their cleavage.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.