Author Topic: Substitution for NaCNBH3 in Krz's DMT synth  (Read 8096 times)

Rhodium

Re: Substitution for NaCNBH3 in Krz's DMT synth
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I said and referenced in my post with the links above.

Ghost_Of_BT

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
I'm considering doing that. In fact, I'll probably expirement with both ways. Given PBr3, the route via tryptophol seems easier and higher yeilding. I'm planning on generating anahydrous Br by passing Cl through dry NaBr and condensing the bromine in a dryice/acetone bath. Than I'll add an acess of RP and filter the clear PBr3. Man, I beter get alot of DMT at the end! I'm not one to give up easily, though.

Rhodium

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
But, as I said in another thread, the dry ice will also condense the chlorine gas, which has a boiling point of -33°C, and the dry ice holds a temperature of -78°C.

Ghost_Of_BT

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2001, 05:05:00 PM »
I understand, thank you for pointing that out to me. I would remove the container from the bath first and let it come to room temp than pour the Br into another container (to get it away from lingering Cl) and place it back into the bath. I'd be waring gogles and a mask, of course.

foxy2

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2001, 07:16:00 PM »
Use Agent Smith's Br2 prep in the OTC MDMA thread in the chemistry forum, it is easier than what you are proposeing.

Post 189907

(Agent_Smith: "OTC MDMA is now easy and cheap!!", Chemistry Discourse)

Do Your Part To Win The War

Rhodium

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2001, 07:49:00 PM »
I don't know whit what kind of ease the compound BrCl forms when chlorine and bromine is mixed, perhaps someone out there knows? It could be another possible obstacle.

Ghost_Of_BT

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
Foxy, I am familiar with that method, but the problem is that the bromine produed is cirtainly not anahydrous. That means HBr will be produced when mixed with phosphorus. The proceedure I sugessted seems easy enough. Rhodium, I didn't think about that. I didn't even know there is such a thing as BrCl. I'll look that up. What other compounds could be formed considering the enviorment?

foxy2

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2001, 10:42:00 AM »
Well it shouldn't be that hard to dry.

Anhydrous magnesium sulfate(epsome salts) or sodium sulfate should work.  Just extract the aqueous Br2 with DCM and dry it then distill off the DCM.  Probably need a fractionateing column for a good separation.  Two relatively easy steps should allow synthesis of a sizable amout of bromine without doubts to its actual composition since you fractionally distill it.

Do Your Part To Win The War

Ghost_Of_BT

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2001, 06:11:00 PM »
Another way could be to react PCl3 with NaBr. The problem with that is making pure PCl3.