Author Topic: methyl eugenol  (Read 4642 times)

startinout

methyl eugenol
« on: November 05, 2000, 01:52:00 PM »
i happen to have stumbled onto some of this chemical, and am pondering taking it through to the primary or methyl amine. i am considering using the benzo wacker then Al-Hg reduction, would anyone like to guess if the methylated secondary amine or the primary amine would be more active.
also can anyone see any problems with the chemical route i am considering. your help as always is much appreciated.
ta ta la la blah blah

blue always
except for at the start

psyloxy

Re: methyl eugenol
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »
Primary amines are more active in general, but 3,4-diMeO-amphetamine is inactive afaik.

--psyloxy--

PolytheneSam

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2000, 06:39:00 PM »
Here's something about 3,4-DMA.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal055.shtml

You could look through this, too.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal.shtml#index

use the search engine

startinout

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2000, 12:11:00 AM »
how do you know it is inactive (afayk) ?

blue always
except for at the start

psychokitty

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2000, 04:41:00 AM »
You could use it to try and make MD-P2P. See my other posts for relevant details.

--PK

placebo

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2000, 06:48:00 AM »
PHiKAL doesn't say it's inactive!
Says it's inbetween MDA and Mescaline according to Military, and according to Shulgin's fucked up "scientific" testing, 70mg iv. did jack shit and 700mg iv. fucked someone up! (No shit! Morons!)
Sounds like it would be sorta worth trying if you had plenty of precursor and nothing better to do.

Wanna do the rumpy pump?

PolytheneSam

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2000, 02:21:00 AM »
Maybe psyloxy's thinking of 3,4-dimethoxyphenethylamine.  Mescaline is 3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine.  Anything less than 3 trimethoxy groups seems to make the compound practically inactive.

zooligan

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2000, 02:57:00 AM »
What if 3,4-dimethoxyphenethylamine were to be brominated?  Active??

z

startinout

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2000, 11:13:00 PM »
At what position would you brominate it? Sorry for my structure/property ignorance as it relates to these materials, but check out my name, it explains it all.
I have made the ketone and am intending to take it through to both the primary and methyl/secondary amine in the next few days for a tatse test ont he weekend, will let everyone know how it goes. Have four guinea pigs currently so the results will be statisically valid, i am thinking of a new drug response measuring system,
great, good, OK but I wouldn't pay for it, wack, horrible, dead
Any adjectives i have left out???
bye, as always, buy buy buy buy

blue always
except for at the start

Osmium

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2000, 12:16:00 AM »
It would be brominated at the 5 position. Dunno about its activity, but I would expect it to be somewhat more active. But I have no refs to back this assumption up right now.

startinout

black tarry crap????
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
Ok so here's what happened, ketone was formed readily using bq/pdcl2, then this was subjected to the nitromethane al/hg amalgam to make the methyl/secodary amine, everything went fine, workup was straightforward until i gassed it with HCl and what ensued in about 5 seconds was instant tar out of solution straight onto the walls of the vessel, I didn't scrap it all out and weigh it but the quantities seemed to match that of the amine i was trying to make.
Anyone have any insights into this mess. A few points to add
1-I used Al turnings not foil as it was late and i wanted to leave it overnight
2-I didn't do an acidic back-extraction from the toluene extracted free-base material, instead i just washed with bicarb, NaCl, dried and gassed
Otherwise all was similar to the method as per Rhodiums site.
????????????????

blue always
except for at the start

Lilienthal

Re: black tarry crap????
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2000, 02:22:00 PM »
Do you remember that I said it's extremely sensitive to alkaline / acidic conditions...?  :)

startinout

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2000, 11:34:00 PM »
i thought that referred to the demethylated product, this is the di-methoxy which should be somewhat more robust, shouldn't it, (obviously it wasn't?). Not saying I know just suggesting. The di-oxygen five membered heterocycle in safrole/safrole analogues is not that sentsitive but in theory should be more so due to poorer steric hinderance and greater bond strain through the oxygen links but it seems to crystallize with HCL gas without turning to tar
So let's say the di-methoxy is that sensitive how would one go about forming the amine hydrochloric salt?
Your input is appreciated

blue always
except for at the start

Lilienthal

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »
Yes, I meant the dihydroxy compound. The dimethoxy should be very robust. Maybe your special workup is promising new demethylation procedure...  :)