Author Topic: 60% Nitromethane  (Read 3706 times)

experimentalbois

60% Nitromethane
« on: February 19, 2003, 04:08:00 PM »
SWIM acquired a 60% Nitromethane solution(all the label says is that the solution is made up of Nitromethane and Methyl Alcohol....there are no other ingredients listed)...SWIM's been all over TFSE and found numerous posts about distilling various fuels to get Nitromethane, washing fuels w/ water and then DCM....but w/ a 60% solution that only has methyl alcohol/nitro(or so it says), is all this necessary or can SWIM just use 33.3g of the solution(to get the 20g of Nitromethane) in MM's animation?

hCiLdOdUeDn

If its clear, I would go with it.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 04:13:00 PM »
If its clear, I would go with it. If it has ANY color to it. Distill that shit. It only takes an hour to distill a liter or so. It takes all day to do an amination and clean up a failed amination :-[

experimentalbois

reddish color
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2003, 04:27:00 PM »
hey hCiLdOdUeDn

the nitro has a reddish tint, so SWIM's gonna distill it...a post SWIM came across said that nitro has a BP of 100.5C(ATM), so when the temp hits the 100C range, SWIM just gonna change the receiving flask, collect the nitro and then animate the night away   :)

experimentalbois

Came across this post, so SWIM just wanted to...
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 04:56:00 PM »
Came across this post, so SWIM just wanted to share it with everyone(it was kinda buried)...

Post 193397 (missing)

(Rhodium: "Re: Nitromethane distillation probs", Newbee Forum)

hCiLdOdUeDn

Yes, perfectly safe to distill nitromethane.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 05:48:00 PM »
Yes, perfectly safe to distill nitromethane. Just use common sense and dont have any flames near your distillation apparatus. I would keep the methanol fraction that comes over also. The azeotrope contains 8% nitromethane and 92% methanol.

experimentalbois

Taking A Long Time
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2003, 10:33:00 PM »
SWIM's distilling 250ml of the nitro/methanol mix(60%/40%) and it's been running for about 4 hours now....40% of the solution came over(the azeotrope) but the temp won't go up to the 100C-102C range(temp is holding steady at 60C now) and the hotplate is up to almost 6(the setting right before High)...and SWIM wants to aminate   :(

experimentalbois

ok...SWIM's an official newbee....and was...
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 03:47:00 AM »
ok...SWIM's an official newbee....and was using a water bath as opposed to the much necessary oil bath...upon changing to the oil bath, the nitro poured over at 101C and SWIM is currently in the middle of MM's amalgamation/amination and will be performing the NaOH wash of the gray sludge in a few hours....wish SWIM luck!!!   :)

experimentalbois

well, SWIM did MM's amination and everything...
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »
well, SWIM did MM's amination and everything looks good but when SWIM dried the milky, white solution w/ oven-dried MgSO4, it looks that the MgSO4 was completely dissolved...SWIM gravity filtered it off and there was a little MgSO4 residue in the filter but not 30g worth...is this ok/normal??

hCiLdOdUeDn

water bath
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2003, 02:20:00 PM »
water bath is excellent for temperatures under 100C. Great to know you found out the hardware :P

experimentalbois

Finally.....A Land Of Milk And HONEY
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 07:55:00 PM »
Well, SWIM's finally done it....after gassing, SWIM got quite a nice pile of beautiful, white MDMA(hasn't weighed it yet) and then SWIM gassed the Zylene again and got more powder(but this powder was gold in color and a smaller amount than the first pile)....up until 5 minutes ago, both piles smelled badly of Zylene but now the gold pile smells gorgeous   :)    but the big, white pile still smells of Zylene.....SWIM's guessing that they're both good but was wondering why the second, smaller pile of powder was gold in color....should SWIM wash it or both piles w/ acetone??

SWIM wants to thank everyone here for all the advice and support....a special thanks to Rhodium and hCiLdOdUeDn

experimentalbois

SWIM washed the gold/brown powder w/ acetone...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2003, 12:34:00 PM »
SWIM washed the gold/brown powder w/ acetone and what a beautiful white pile of MDMA....so when combining the two piles of powder, SWIM got a total of 18g for his first yeild...life is so good!!!   :)

tranceport

From what I understand...
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
Doesnt Rhodium reccomend against using acetone to clean up discoloration? Just a thought if you plan to keep making your own honey. Otherwise, congrats and thanks for joining the war... ;)

hCiLdOdUeDn

I think its not wise to gas in acetone, but...
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2003, 09:39:00 AM »
I think its not wise to gas in acetone, but from my experience it wont harm MDMA if you use acetone to clean it up. Just make sure your acetone is nice and dry.