Author Topic: THF or et2O- which smell is worse?  (Read 2434 times)

ChemicalSolution

THF or et2O- which smell is worse?
« on: March 08, 2002, 10:23:00 AM »
xoxo
Julia

hest

Re: THF or et2O- which smell is worse?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 10:47:00 AM »
THF

Rhodium

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2002, 01:22:00 PM »
And I'd say Et2O... Perhaps we should have a roll call on this?  ;)

Hansje

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2002, 01:47:00 PM »
Prolonged smell-tests of both ethers show that Et2O knocks you out much more pleasantly than THF.

Hansje high in proteine and fibre!

terbium

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2002, 10:34:00 PM »
Depends on what you mean by "worse".

Now that I have gotten over an acquired aversion to the smell of Et2O, due to a few too many childhood hangovers from ether binges, I would say that the smell of Et2O is esthetically more pleasing than that of THF. Of course, I like the smell of THF too but then I also like the smell of indole, phenylacetic acid and the pesticide section at the hardware store.

Now, if by "worse" you mean which solvent is most likely to attract attention to a clandestine laboratory I would say that Et2O is worse.

ChemicalSolution

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2002, 11:08:00 PM »

Now, if by "worse" you mean which solvent is most likely to attract attention to a clandestine laboratory I would say that Et2O is worse.

That is EXACTLY what SWIM meant.  SWIM knows that ether is really, REALLY bad..  She doesn't know what THF smells like but was hoping, b/c of the higher bp, it isn't quite as volitle.

terbium

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2002, 12:30:00 AM »
Yeah, THF is much less likely to produce tell-tale odors. Its smell is not as penetrating or distinctive as that of ether.

slappy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2002, 03:48:00 AM »
I don't know what's wrong with you people, but I quite enjoy the smell of Ether. I think THF is pretty foul smelling.

Sunlight

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2002, 08:01:00 PM »
My oppinion is that ether smells mcuh more than THF, but form me is a familiar smell, not toxic, though it can go out of your appartment. THF smells less but is more toxic, smells much worse, fucks your liver and I hate it. Furanes are known together with dioxines as very polluting substances. I still have one liter and someday I'll try to make some lactone, for me is the best that can be done with it.