Author Topic: Red/brown Jelly ??  (Read 1976 times)

blaztoff

Red/brown Jelly ??
« on: January 26, 2002, 06:03:00 AM »
Swim Just got through redistilling awhole shit load of old toluene from Prior A/B and extractions lah lah lah. Swim tries to recycle everything so swim ususally saves all wastes and tries to seperate it and reuse what he can. Normaly leaves the last liter or so and throws away. Well its been a while since last dist and this time when Swim was dist forgot a little about it and the Tol boiled past where he would normally trow it away. When Swim remembered and went to check Swim was surprised to find abut only 500ml of a redish something still in dist flask. Curious Swim decided to let it go a while longer see what it was so Swim came back a while later to discover about 300ml of now somewhat oily red/brown in flask. Leave for a while longer only to discover same amount of oily red stuff still in flask. Swim takes out lets cool comes back only to discover The red/brown oily stuff has some what congealed to a slightly jelly like substance with a mild redish brown to golden brown around the edges stuff. Smells a little like Hcl. Very Little Hcl sort of a after thought but has a sweet  smell to it also. Sort of a little bit crystally where it has slid down flask on the walls.
 Now normally the only time swim uses tol is during an amalgation cleanup or maybe after hyrogenation cleanup for extraction following an a/b. Swim did use some for extraction following an O2 wacker instead of Dcm cause of shortage of Dcm. So some of Tol was used during the ketone production but all else for extraction. Any Ideas?

halfapint

Re: Red/brown Jelly ??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2002, 06:36:00 AM »
Put warm dilute mineral acid like 1% HCl in it and stir it up with a plastic paddle, to see if any color dissolves. Basify and extract with DCM or ether, for you may have leftover amine. Eat a bit of it and find out if your hallucinations have hair. Always eat your unknown amines, helps keep the lab cleaner.

turning science fact into <<science fiction>>

Antoncho

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2002, 08:35:00 AM »

Always eat your unknown amines, helps keep the lab cleaner.

;D  ;D  ;D

Antoncho

blaztoff

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2002, 01:26:00 PM »
Well we will soon find out. Happy Trails

and around around we go where we stop .... who cares

Prdy2GO

Red/brown Jelly saved tailings accumilations every
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2002, 10:40:00 PM »
Someone I know has the exact same thing and it is baffeling us as to how to go about getting it and whatever else it is that's in there.
What I would like to know is how to approach the clean up of all those open containers with all kinds of things from meth to mda mdma washes and MDp2p route exploration. Some thoughts I had was to seperate by PH and dump the acids in one carboy and base in another then mix and pull off the nonpolar and for example the base one.
Wash 3 times with H2O and gas to see what comes out.
please help with your comments and or suggestions. Funny I have UTSE and there is not much in the way of clean up recylieing or what to do with all those saved tailings accumilations everywhere.
Thanks

Don't look at me I didn't do it!

BenWiFFen

Re: Red/brown Jelly saved tailings accumilations every
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2002, 04:40:00 AM »
A good way to clean your non-polor is. Do 3 or 4 warm dh2o washs then dump in some baking soda with enough h2o to hold it and shake it good. Pull off the clean non-polor and dump the bottem.

Gear Driven