Author Topic: Iodosafrole-------> MDA ??'s  (Read 2890 times)

TwoCBee

Iodosafrole-------> MDA ??'s
« on: July 23, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »
Please don't burn me to a crisp as this is my first post. I have read the 1000's of posts on the safrole to halosafrole methods. I know they may not work, etc... What I am interested in is how to get to MDA from iodosafrole. There aren't many posts on the amination step of the halosafrole. The few that exist deal with MDMA and the others say aqueous ammonia solutions won't work. So... what will work? I'm pretty convinced the delepine is shit. Maybe dissolve the iodosaf in meOH and bubble in anhydrous ammonia gas? I'm not really sure where to go from here... any help is much appreciated. I know this set of reactions is very controversial here, but if someone will help me, I will post yields (existent or not) with a very detailed writeup. Thanks in advance...

psychokitty

UTFSE
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »
Look for posts by Ritter.  He has thoroughly covered the addition of hydrogen halides (HF, HCl, HBr, HI) to terminal alkenes (C-C=C) to form halo-alkanes (C-C[F,Cl, Br,I]-C) which can then be reacted through substitution via ammonolysis (NH3) or aminolysis (NH2CH3, for example) to aquire the desired final amine (C-C[NH2, NHCH3]-C).

Elimination has been reported to occur when iodo-alkanes (C-C-C) are reacted with ammonia (NH3) or amines (NH2CH3), thus forming the starting terminal alkene (C-C=C) and the ammonia/amine hydrohalogenide salt (NH4I, NH3CH3I) as products.

Sorry, but I could illustrate the ionic structures for you very well using ASCII.

hsark

Bubble the gas into...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »
Bubble the gas into the methanol, or supposedly better isoprpanol. Then mix the idosaf with amonia/iso and place in a stainlesssteel pipebomb and heat to 120 degress. If your lucky youll get a 50% yield. but if you just buble straight in and or reflux youll get much less.

TwoCBee

One more question about this...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 10:52:00 AM »
If SWIM were to try halogenation, should he use equimolar amounts of halide, h2so4 and safrole? If this is not correct, could somebee please enlighten him as to what ratios to use? Thanks in advance!

ApprenticeCook

i think this is what your asking....
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 09:36:00 PM »
i think this is what your asking....

2NaX + H2SO4 --> 2HX + Na2SO4
So 1 mol of sulphuric acid reacts with 2 mol of sodium halide (sodium salt of whatever halide your using) to produce 2 mol of halide acid gas and 1 mol of sodium sulphate.
This works well for HCL and HBr production but it tends to convert the HI to iodine... iodine will create a double addition to safrole and will root up any attempt to do what you want. You can do it in solution with safrole and DMSO which prevents this from happening.

HX + Safrole --> Halo-Safrole
1 mol HX reacts with 1 mol safrole to produce 1mol of halo-safrole.

If your using a gas generator you can do it for HBr easily but for HI you need to do it in solution with DMSO.

My q is could HI be created in a gas generator under a slight vacuum so that the created HI could be swiftly pulled from the solution and into the safrole?
the only problem with this is the same as with NaCl/sulphuric HCl generators, the salt clogs up and although not a problem with HCl as it bubbles through the mix and away, HI will bubble up through the mix and some (how much?) would be oxid by the sulphuric to iodine....
The iodine could be restricted from entering the safrole by the gas generator...

-AC