Author Topic: Please help me with a simple problem  (Read 2047 times)

Dright

Please help me with a simple problem
« on: July 17, 2003, 10:21:00 AM »
HI!!!
I am very shamed of this question! so please dont laugh at me:
What is "naphta" or "VM&P"?

(The names are in the post:
www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/pseudo.xtract.straightbee.html)

For my excuse:
I dont speak ure language (its german i speak), i use every time a dictionary to translate the recepies, which works very fine... realy!! but shortcuts (?) like "naphta" arent in the dictionary.... understand my humble problem??

abolt

UTFGoogle
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 10:36:00 AM »

Unobtainium

naphta
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 10:49:00 AM »
it doesn't help that its spelled incorrectly.

rudebwoy

my can says naphtha
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 12:16:00 PM »
my can says naphtha

Dright

"naphta" isnt ...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 01:46:00 PM »
"naphta" isnt "naphtalene"?? or ist??

hypo

duh.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2003, 02:03:00 PM »
> I dont speak ure language (its german i speak)

well the german word for "naphta" is..... *drum rolls*..... "naphta"!

and no, it's not napthalene but some petroleum fraction

Dright

@ Hypo emmm... Can you please be a little more
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 02:12:00 PM »
@ Hypo

emmm... Can you please be a little more precise?

By the way:
Thany for the help....

Capt_Stubing

We don't spoonfeed dumbasses here....
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 02:46:00 AM »
UTFSE, open a fucking book and learn to think for yourself. If we cater to shit like this now we'll have to adress your future questions regarding safe use and storage of dihydrogenmonoxide. Let me guess your question is somehow related to this solvent's use in meth chemistry,right? Always UTFSE and do your own legwork before posting. :P

ragnaroekk

time to apologize captain....
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 03:41:00 AM »
It is true that the naming of fractions of oil or petroleum or "naphta" is at least in the german language a science for its own. Petrochemistry has invented a whole own set of nomenclatura which is of course not compatibel to the rest of chemistry and not to the common useat all.

before I try to shed some light on this:

now it´s on you HYPO:
you are full of crap.

And a answer on the question what everybody forgot on the bragging:
petrolether is V&M naphta
what is petrolether?
common is the opinion that it is a lower boiling fraction of "benzin" Petrochemie doesn´t use petrolether but sorts (in germany) "benzin" by boiling ranges. Easiest is the naming "benzin XXX -YYY " wherby XXX is the temp. for start of boiling and YYY the temperature where everything can get boiled away.
Law has names for taxing mostly:
Wundbenzin
Testbenzin
Reinigungsbenzin

Final answer for V&M naphta is:
thats "Wundbenzin" in germany. To get in every pharmacie.
Naphta is a complete useless term as it can mean everything from the crude oil from the dwell to certain refined fractions - a brandname and getting the MSDS is the only way to go here.

If I remember where I did store the related file I post some more funnies from petrochemistry. Btw. this board would be a better place if the ability to express oneself in a foreign language would be mandatory for ALL. A fast and easy solution and a fair one also. Worth a thought I guess.

Unobtainium

japanese
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 08:28:00 AM »

Btw. this board would be a better place if the ability to express oneself in a foreign language would be mandatory for ALL.

Good idea. As of July 20,2003, we will be switching the board over to Japanese. For those of you who don't speak Japanese, you have a generous 3 (or 2, depending on your timezone) days to familiarize yourself with this exciting language. We feel that this amount of time is more than adequate for mastering a new language.

You'll also want to make sure to download all appropriate hiragana, katakana, and kanji fonts and character sets.

We'll be testing you individually via PM and anyone who can not pass the simple written exam will be prohibited from posting.

El_Zorro

Sounds good, let's try Yiddish next, then...
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 08:31:00 AM »
Sounds good, let's try Yiddish next, then maybe Farsi.  Or how about that African clicking language?