Author Topic: Recent doc on chemical profiling mdma impurities  (Read 2659 times)

scram

Recent doc on chemical profiling mdma impurities
« on: December 11, 2003, 09:07:00 AM »
See PDF post below
Yeah! The asian Triad is Ganster.
How is an alcohol (the propanol(??)) managing to get through an a/b wash in these?
older article: 

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/programs/forensicsci/microgram/journal_v1/mjournal_v1_pg5.html#fig1

Rhodium

a/b
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »
Where do you see that an acid/base wash was performed at all?

scram

I mean I'm assuming that when such large scale
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 09:27:00 AM »
I mean I'm assuming that when such large scale is done like this they are going to go through the correct process. This is the most detailed forensic analysis I've ever seen.

Rhodium

Don't give them too much credit
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 09:37:00 AM »
Do you have the PDF? It is downloadable by subscription only from that site. If you cannot host it yourself - email it to me and I'll do it for you.

Don't give too much credit to the commercial large-scale manufacturers, they make enough money on what they are doing to afford being extremely sloppy in their craft.

Rhodium

MDMA Tab Chemical Profiling in Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 10:06:00 AM »
Chemical profiling of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) tablets seized in Hong Kong (PDF provided by Scram)
Cheng WC, Poon NL, Chan MF

Journal of Forensic Sciences 48(6), 1249-1259 (2003)

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/forensic/mdma.profiling.hk.pdf)

Abstract
During 2000–2001, the Government Laboratory of Hong Kong received over 600,000 ecstasy tablets in more than 2,600 cases. Using GC-MS or FTIR, the major amphetamine-type stimulants were identified, and the samples were categorized into four groups containing: (1) 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), (2) methamphetamine (MA), (3) 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), or (4) amphetamine. Our study revealed that in Hong Kong MDMA tablets have made up 98 and 71% of the total ecstasy tablets examined in 2000 and 2001, respectively. Among the MDMA cases, 613 cases involving a total of 123,776 tablets in 2001 were randomly selected, and their active ingredients, minor ingredients, and/or impurities were studied using GC-MS and HPLC. Based on the chemical profiles, and irrespective of their different physical characteristics, tablets obtained in different seizures could be determined as to whether or not they could have come from a common origin. The impurities detected in the MDMA tablets also served as excellent chemical markers from which plausible synthetic route(s) of the MDMA were inferred. Our study revealed that 3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl-2-propanone (MDP2P), 3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl-2-propanol (MDP), 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylbenzylamine (MDB), piperonal and N-formyl-3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (N-formyl-MDMA) were the most common impurities detected in MDMA tablets seized in Hong Kong. The finding of the phosphate salt of MDMA is intriguing. Based on a presumptive color test, spectroscopic data (FTIR/ESI-MS) and the percentage of MDMA content in a purified phosphate salt of MDMA, the ratio of the phosphate to MDMA was determined to be 1:1, suggesting that the compound is a dihydrogen phosphate salt [i.e. (HMDMA)H2PO4].