Author Topic: A different type of matchbox striker  (Read 5838 times)

IceHomer

A different type of matchbox striker
« on: March 28, 2003, 07:27:00 AM »
I picked up a brand of matchboxes (rhymes with "Dead Turd", here in Canada) with two large striker strips on each side of the box (they are wooden matches). The strikers are made of red dots (kind of like enlarged half-tone pixels), but they don't come off when soaked in acetone. Has anyone had any experience with this, or should I just forget about the whole thing? I don't think there would be very much RP in them anyway, but decided to give it a try.

Thanks...

wareami

HardWARE Store Brand
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »
Denatured Alcohol alone or use a 30%tone 70%denat mix.
•First soak for 2 minutes.
•Scrape of red.
•Then break UP the dots.
•Several rinses, decant and discard the liquid after each rinse.
Peace of the reaction

Have FUN-Bee SAFE

peregrine

box matches
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 06:56:00 PM »
I don't know if you mean the big box or not but I've found box strikers to end up costing too much.I don't know what you can get up there but your best bet is to buy bulk paper matches.You can get 14-16g of r.p from a case of paper matches and pay $25-$30.Look on line for a company in the N.E area and go with wareami's advice.Its a pain in the ass to cut all the stikers out but in no time you'll be able to do a whole case in one nite.Also if you use TFSE you'll find more advice than you can shake a stick match at.

IceHomer

Scrape?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 08:33:00 AM »
So I'd have to scrape the RP off the strikers? No thanks! I think I'll stick to the ol' "RP/SS" method: RIP, PULL, SNIP & SOAK.

Your help is appreciated!

SQUIDIPPY

Forget it.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 10:36:00 AM »
Trust S/D on this one. He's tried every concievable method of processing M/B's. And while not all agree on the choice of chems to use, all with experience, agree that shuck and cut is the best way.

Now quit starting MB/RP threads, and start shucking.

dopebag

the best thing to soak matchbook strikers in
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 03:43:00 AM »
the best thing to soak matchbook strikers in is 70% rubbing alcohol. the RP comes off with ease, much better than acetone, like 95% better.

dopebag

experience with pixel type strikers
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 03:44:00 AM »
my experience has lead me to believe not to waste your time unless the striker is full RP.

unionpacific

They put the red dots on it so when you try to
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 05:37:00 AM »
They put the red dots on it so when you try to scrape it off a bunch of paper and glue comes off too these kinds of strikers are useless you want the ones like 7/11 matches

ici_rhi

yes to 70%
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2003, 10:32:00 AM »
hope this helps...derived from other bees so no credit to SwiRhi...put striker strips in 20 oz plus cola bottle..just cover with 70% IPA..let settle and roll off red to another container..let settle some...carefully pour same IPA into bottle with strikers...back and forth...very efficient, then find Squidippy or Geezemeister's final technique...Personal Preference Prevails at that point...Found of course in TFSE under MBRP extraction..
Found these combo's quick and efficient with MBRP.

Castortrip

Here's SWICS teqnique:
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »
91% isa + 8-10 boxes x 50 MB will yield  3-4 grams of RB. add some quarters, and the strikers, shake in 91%ipa, decant carefully boil ipa away. add 40% h20 60% acetone, shake vigrously, settle filter off glue, 2-3x. dry. (note: floaters are not RP.)add 50ml HCL & some h20 & more tone. dry, powderize bake for a few minutes til the HCL's doings are gone, 4 grams out of 10 boxes is defanitly not pure. concider 4geez, 3geez, SWIM does, in his dreamz.  8)

dopebag

your soak
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2003, 07:17:00 PM »
you might it will save you tremendous time to use 70% IPA.

unionpacific

you might it will save you tremendous time to...
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
you might it will save you tremendous time to use 70% IPA.

How's that?

autumn_lamb

honeycombs are hexagons
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2003, 08:31:00 PM »
those red "dots" or "pixels" are hexagon-shaped matter which consists of just-as-effective red phosphorus, et.al. (the usual junk included therein) as the tiny book strikers.

if memory serves, not a huge problem cleaning it up. i think that kitchen strikers are easier to work with than the tiny books.

however, she'd like to advocate a substitute here:
H3P03... it's not just for fungus anymore. thanks rhodium, you beautiful thing you! ;) .