Author Topic: Ghetto style fume hood.  (Read 5021 times)

Ghetto style fume hood.
« on: April 14, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »
Well, about 2 months ago SWIM moved on up to a deluxe apartment in the sky. It was just yesterday that he had a lightbulb turn on in his head when he was cooking some meat for his tacos. The fan above his oven would be perfect for a fume hood. So SWIM got together a bunch of tape and saran wrap and started on the project. Three sides were completely air tight and the fourth side, which faces SWIM's kitchen was saran wrapped about 3/4 the way down. SWIM turned on the fan, and realised how well this would work for cooking chili, and cleaning up ingredients. In addition, the heat wource is right there! how perfect. Not sure if anyone else as done similar on this board, but SWIM thinks it works reasonably well

Rhodium

Minor details
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 12:07:00 AM »
You forgot to take into account that your exhausts might enter the apartments in the house that way, as well as the fan not being explosion-proof.

callen

Shoo...what's that alful smell?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 01:12:00 AM »
Yes...he's right. I live in a double wide, 5-bedroom, 3 bathroom trailer....the odors travel through the house...my wife doesn't smoke...and she can smell everything.
A.L.F. sez," The less seen...the less remembered, also...the less smelled...the less remembered...and where are those darn katz...at!?" :)
   But if it works for you...go for it. It beats a huge fire down in the basement to create a strong up-draft, like they used at school...150-years ago.

callen

Shoo...what's that alful smell?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 01:12:00 AM »
Yes...he's right. I live in a double wide, 5-bedroom, 3 bathroom trailer....the odors travel through the house...my wife doesn't smoke...and she can smell everything.
A.L.F. sez," The less seen...the less remembered, also...the less smelled...the less remembered...and where are those darn katz...at!?" :)
   But if it works for you...go for it. It beats a huge fire down in the basement to create a strong up-draft, like they used at school...150-years ago.

auntyjack

obvious point #3?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 02:14:00 AM »
i do believe corrosion would be a bit of a concern as well

ning

very ghetto
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 04:33:00 AM »
Are going to cook chili in your glassware as well?
Remind me not to eat at your house...

Wicked_Rain

The Lightbulb is Dim
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »
saran wrap and tape huh. yeah thats some fume hood alright. most of those apartment fans dont lead directley outside from any one apt. dont be suprised when your neighbor is knocking at your door wondering where that weird smell is comming from. hopefully said neighbor wont be able to spot your saran wrap fume hood as there trying to peer over your shoulder from the door. maybe you should patent your invention.

ApprenticeCook

Ghetto is one thing, thats just damn budget...
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »
Ghetto is one thing, thats just damn budget...  ::)
Try again, sounds to me like you didnt quite think that one through all the way... and what the hell is saran wrap? please dont say its like our glad wrap in oz... the stuff you use to cover plates of food...?!?

-AC

Grouch

Nice Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 02:03:00 AM »
I remember the one I had used a sparkless motor, but I don't remember the model number.  I bought some used ones from one of those 'grow show' gardening stores for pretty cheap.

http://www.elicent.it/inglese/axcmet.html

You can mount one of these somewhere on the wall, and run a tube along your ceiling and then to a grill mounted to a window to the outside.  You can then use one of those flexible, but rigid type tubes for the side facing where the fumes are.  This will give you adjustability.  Some of these 'Elicent' fans move a lot of air and with all types and scales of gassing, I've never had a problem with it.  They are pretty quiet, quite strong, and available in many different sizes.

MadMunkey

sadly, it is, but alot more clingy...
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 01:42:00 AM »
sadly, it is, but alot more clingy...

Shane_Warne

fumehoods
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 02:21:00 AM »
buy a proper, fire-proof and chemical resistant fan.

swims going to build one soon, with a carbon filter before the fan, so it filters out the majority of the nasties before it even gets to the fan.

Then a 2nd carbon filter after it passes through.

Is this the way to go?

How large should the activated carbon pieces bee?

Hopefully he'll just find filters that can be bought, to use with the ducting, anyway. hoping..

barkingburro

having a filter before and after
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »
the fan will put a huige burden on your fans motor. when designing a system remember that fans will always work better pulling than they will pushing. so keeping this in mind you generally want a fan on the pulling end of any major filtration. swibb quite successfully imployed a shop vac as the source of suction recently in his home made fume hood. worked like the dickens with the added bonus the final shop vac chamber made a final filtration location.

Shane_Warne

BB, Thanks for that info, that's preferrable...
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »
BB, Thanks for that info, that's preferrable anyway, because it means that hopefully, most of the flammables will bee filtered out before it gets to the fan.

Ill let the SE's do the rest, easier that way. That's how I discovered specialized fans are common.