Author Topic: Purification of Ergotamine Tartrate  (Read 3578 times)

Oxygen69

Purification of Ergotamine Tartrate
« on: October 12, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
Two grams of ergotamine tartrate (no caffeine) can be purchased as a migraine headache medicine for about $500.  Could the following procedure work for extracting and purifying the substance?

Take 2000 1 mg Ergomar pills and crush them with a mortar and pestle.  Extract them with 1 L .1 N HCl.  Wash the solution with 4x100 mL toluene.  Add some pH indicator and increase the pH to 12 with 30% ammonia solution.  Extract the solution with 4x100 mL toluene.  Wash the toluene with 4x100 mL 10% NaHCO3 solution.  Remove the toluene under vacuum.  Dissolve the solids in the minimum amount of boiling acetone under inert gas, add 10% of that volume in water, and place the solution in the freezer.  Vacuum filter, dry, and weigh the product.  Dissolve the product in the minimum amount of anhydrous MeOH.  Add the product's weight / 581.662 / 2 * 150.087 in d-tartaric acid.  Add more MeOH to dissolve everything if necessary.  Add Et2O dropwise to precipitate ergotamine tartrate.  It may be necessary to allow the mixture to stand in the freezer.  Vacuum filter.  Add more Et2O to the product and repeat the process until no more ergotamine tartrate precipitates.  Dry the product, weigh it, and store it in an opaque, airtight container.

Expected yield: ~1 g ergotamine tartrate

I've given a little thought to merely doing a crude extraction with MeOH, stripping the solvent, and chromotographing the impure ergotamine tartrate.  I think that there would be less risk of loss of product this way.  What solvents would be appropriate for the chromotography?  Would this be done on alumina or silica gel?  Would this be done in a column or on large (20x20 cm) TLC plates?

I would greatly appreciate assistance in writing a working preparation for ergotamine tartrate from migraine medication.

Oxygen69

Vitus_Verdegast

a suggestion:
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 06:15:00 PM »
It may be helpful to name the pill filler constituents here too. So one could get a guess on the best method of extraction.

Oxygen69

Migraine Medication Inactive Ingredients
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 08:10:00 PM »
These are the inactive ingredients.  I assume that most migraine medications that contain ergotamine tartrate as the only active ingredient will be similar.

Ergostat: corn starch, D & C Yellow No. 10, FD & C Blue No. 1, lactose monohydrate NF, magnesium stearate, peppermint oil, saccharin sodium
ref:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/ergotamine.htm

Ergomar: cornstarch, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Blue No. 1, lactose, magnesium stearate, peppermint oil and sodium cyclamate
ref:

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceutical/b2.1.monographs/CPS-%20Monographs/CPS-%20%28General%20Monographs-%20E%29/ERGOMAR.html

Vitus_Verdegast

non-polar + alcohol
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 04:35:00 PM »
I would say wash the grinded up pills with toluene, and extract the ergotamine tartrate with alcohol, evap alcohol in vacuo and basify with ammonia?

You'd get rid of the peppermint oil and the colorings with the non-polar solvent, alcohol soluble pill filler ingredients, provided that each one is also water-soluble, will probably dissolve in the ammonia solution when basifying.. I would look up each compound's solubility first to be sure.