Author Topic: h202 in glowsticks  (Read 3622 times)

darius

h202 in glowsticks
« on: May 01, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »
I'm not sure if any of you need this or not but recently I found out that glowsticks have h202 in 30% amounts.  It's inside of the little glass tube that you "crack" in order to get the phenol-something or another to luminecse (sp?).  It's pretty tiny a couple Ml at most, but if you're desperate for 30% h202 it's worth a shot.

It's possible to drill a hole, drain the yellow phenol gunk out, and cut the plastic tubing away to recover a glass vial with the hydrogen peroxide.
lata
D

Sredni_Vashtar

H2O2
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 05:29:00 AM »
That's an expensive way to get 35% H2O2. Why not just concentrate the stuff if you can only get weaker solutions. For example, by heating:

http://krimzonpyro.com/ep/projectsdevicesdir/boilingh2o2test.html

This is dangerous due to runaway decomposition at higher concentrations. You also need to keep the temperature as low as possible to prevent breakdown of H2O2. Best method is vacuum distillation at low temperatures.

You can also pump clean dry air though your H2O2 to increase concentration by preferential evaporation of water (sparging).

You can also increase concentration by freezing out the water. In a domestic freezer, max. concentration is ~ 25%

homeslice

utfse and ull find 30% h2o2 otc in 500ml ...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »
utfse and ull find 30% h2o2 otc in 500ml bottles all over the u.s.

darius

i concur....
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 10:53:00 PM »
i just threw it up and out because i had never seen anyone post about using that as a source.  Is it expensive? sort of; $10 gets you about 50ml.  But it is pretty quick, and you can guarantee the quality of the H202 which is a uncertain variable when concentrating ones own.  But yes frac. vacuum dist. would be the least expensive method, aside from purchasing it.

I'm going to ignore Homeslice since he obviously missed the point of the post (Hint: I NEVER asked where to get H202 merely offered a new source to those who may need it). Please don't waste bandwidth with worthless posts.

lata
D

homeslice

I thought twice about puttin that up there,...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »
I thought twice about puttin that up there, next time ill just say fuck em. I didn't know you were just putting it up there bc it was a useless source (Hint: im not a mind reader) Waste bandwidth with useless posts? 10 bucks for 50ml h2o2... hmm pretty wasteful.

What if i didn't put that post up there and the next post was
ok whats next i bought 50 bucks in glow sticks darius?

I'm going to ignore Homeslice since he obviously missed the point of the post

Wait... wait wait... you mean this point i just threw it up and out because i had never seen anyone post about using that as a source.  I thought i said i wasnt a mind reader... Perhaps the point of the post should have been included in the post.

One more point... why dont you flame Sredni also?

Sorry bout wastin everyones time. Someone tries to offer a hand and ppl like this bust your balls for it. Well i learned my lesson and next time ill keep my mouth shut instead of sharing my advice... it seems like everyone else is doing that anymore so i might as well too.

EvilMadChemist

what are glow sticks made of exzactly, do you...
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »

eXcidium

H2O2 + NaOH
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »
It's not only H2O2 Inside the ampoule, but a mixture of H2O2 and NaOH (as a catalyst)
the other part of the glowstick is Diphenyl Oxalate (or bis-(trichlorophenyl) oxalate, bis(dinitrophenyl)oxalate , or in general, [bis(aryl)oxalates]) and the apropriate coloring (fluorescent dye) compound

Interesting is that very few places mention the NaOH beeing there (though you can see the CORROSIVE sign in the GlowStick case)

The dyes can be :

Red     - Rhodamine B
Orange  - Rhodamine 6G (5,12-Bis(phenylethynyl)-naphthacene)
Yellow  - Rubrene
Green   - 9,10-Bis(phenylethynyl)-antracene
Blue    - 9,10-Diphenylantracene

An easy preparation of the Oxalates follows (If anyone needs them anyway) (Copy & Paste from a book)

Preparation.  Convenient esters are bis(2,4-dinitrophenyl)oxalate (DNPO) and bis(2,4,6-trichlorophenyl)oxalate (TCPO). 
"Dry a solution of 9.2 g of 2,4-dinitrophenol (or 9.94 g of 2,4,6-trichlorophenol) in 125 ml of benzene (or toluene) by azeotropic distillation of the water with 25 ml of the solvent.  Cool the solution to 10 oC and add dropwise with stirring 5.05 g triethylamine followed by 3.5 g ethanedioyl dichloride (oxalyl chloride).  Allow the mixture to warm up to ambient temperature and keep it at this temperature overnight.  Distil off the solvent under reduced pressure (rotary evaporator if available).  To the residue add 25 ml trichloromethane (chloroform), shake, filter off the solid product in a Buchner funnel, wash it with a little trichloromethane on the filter pad.  Recrystallization of the product is no normally required but if desired DNPO can be recrystallised from nitrobenzene or ethyl acetate and TCPO - from benzene."

EvilMadChemist

thanks man , ill check into this, it sounds...
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »
thanks man , ill check into this, it sounds interesintg.

eXcidium

Luminol
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
Also, Luminol (3-aminophthalhydrazide) works much the same way

SMILE :

Molecule:

LUMINOL ("O=C1NNC(C2=C1C=CC=C2N)=O")

borolithium

H2O2 - 30% OTC in any quantity
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »
Last time I walked into a hydroponic store, I saw anywhere from 1L to 5 gal of H202 30%, which can be purchased without any questions asked.

Of course they don't ask questions, as they expect you will be using it in your hydroponic system as a fungicide to grow dope. Don't drive up to one of these stores in your own vehicle, as many are regularly surveyed or are DEA fronts.

amine

H2O2
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »
H202 Can be found at taxidermy shops for bleaching the skulls of those poor animals you killed. 30-40% concentrations too

ApprenticeCook

Best way is the farmers, ~30% to wash out...
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »
Best way is the farmers, ~30% to wash out dairy farm equiptment around here and no problems with buying bulk, after all, you do have heaps of cattle....

-AC