Author Topic: licked by salt lick  (Read 7830 times)

pancuronium

licked by salt lick
« on: November 14, 2003, 05:06:00 AM »
some old timer produced a salt block he claimed contained more pfed % w/v than any pill stock around these days.  of course the legendary salt lick sparked my interest and has since pissed me off. alky extraction,  h2o extraction,  and a/b has produced not one damn hint of a promising signature.
  i dont believe in the mythical pfed laced salt licks but if anybee out there has ever actually pulled anything out of these things, iam dying to know how! 
  by the way the lick in question would be cobalt blue if i actually had one...

pancuronium

The Word!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 08:34:00 AM »
Thanks Sir,
  I had to give the benefit of the boubt to a friend and the word directly from you lays this to rest for me.  I  have read the write up on chicken feed and other myths and I quote it often in an attempt to educate the masses.
  Long live The Hive and Rhodium!

etherbase

Licking the wrong block
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 09:43:00 AM »
Pancuronium
Blue is not the color you're looking for.
Use TFSE. Your answers are there.

LoW_JacK

rhodium
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 11:54:00 PM »
Wouldnt that be a different set of myths rhodium?

I too never have seen said salt blocks but have had several cookers claim that the gear we were smoking at that moment was from a salt lick they'd been milking for two weeks.
I cant say. But i've seen reputable cooks like worlock claim the same thing as the local cooks here, "They were around, along time ago".

I would sock your pal in da'nuzz for jerkin' yer dick without paying first.

Rhodium

Don't you see the similarities between myths?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 01:26:00 PM »
As with the infamous chicken feed, nobody has ever produced any proof of ephedrine containing salt licks, nor has anyone been able to credibly explain what the point of having that as a magic ingredient would be.

methyl_ethyl

(Pseudo)Ephedrine in Salt Licks? Pure Myth.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 11:32:00 AM »
There is no reason to add pseudoephedrine to any type of salt or mineral block associated with the feeding of bovines.  AFAIK Pseudoephedrine is not approved for use in bovines, ovines, porcines, or equines, therefore it would be illegal under USDA/FDA regulations to add pseudoephedrine to a salt block (at least for slaughter cattle, which have stringent drug hold requirements).  I could be mistaken, however I doubt it...

Now let's think about dosage. Medicated blocks are designed to deliver small amounts of medication to the animal.  On average, (from what I remember) ~100mg of active ingredient per head per day is a target, (depending on the active of course).  Remember these blocks are designed to deliver trace amounts of medication to the animal.  Therefore the pharmaceuticals supplied must be efficacious when supplied in trace amounts.  Total consumption of block averages around 80g per day (depending on molasses content).  An average bovine would need ~12g of pseudoephedrine in order to realize any therapeutic value.  Large dosages such as this are not intended for mineral block administration.  Therefore I feel very confident in proclaiming that there are no available mineral blocks on the market that have any pseudoephedrine added to it.  It would not make any economic sense, and in the US it would be illegal AFAIK.

much_love

methyl_ethyl

Organikum

ok, on the risk to loose my reputation
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 07:05:00 AM »
about four years ago I localized a belgium manufacturer of mineral licks who had "winter" licks for bovine containing ephedrine on the list. As "discontinued" - so I never invested more time in this, it was just a tidbit on a longer nethunt.

The purpose was to keep the bovine moving for not to freeze to the ground and die - this relates of course only to winterhard races where the animals are supposed to stay outside at least for a bigger part of the cold period.

I see it as probable that before hard controls of animal food kicked in many active substances were mixed into different kinds of animal food - and in some 2nd or 3rd world countries still is. (think hormones....). Why not ephedrine.

I am absolute sure so, that you wont find this nowadays, because of the new laws for animal food and the classification of ephedrine as drug-precursor scheduled on list 1. No manufacturer will be so stupid to undergo this hassle.

Ephedrine is btw. still a usual drug prescribed quite often by veterinaries for bovine and other big animals. So the story is not so far out by all.

But anyways, thats history.

But it answers Rhodiums question "why" - for not freezing to the ground.
(before laughing at me because of this "freezing to the ground" thingie, I strongly recommend doing a websearch on this not uncommon problem with winterhard bovines - or you are endangered to get thouroughly flamed by me whoever you are)