Author Topic: Salting mescaline with dilute sulphuric acid?  (Read 1907 times)

KidCurry

Salting mescaline with dilute sulphuric acid?
« on: April 06, 2004, 03:03:00 PM »
Purely theoretically, if one could not obtain concentrated sulphuric acid and would need to make a salt of mescaline, would it be possible to use cold battery acid (35-38% H2SO4) since mescaline sulfate has a low solubility in cold water (cool the acid before in freezer for a few minutes, and add it to a beaker on an icebath)?

GC_MS

yes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 04:30:00 PM »
It should work. I use 50:50 water/conc sulfuric acid (v/v) to crystallize mescaline freebase as the sulfate. Calculate how much solution you need though. Better not loose too much of the precious M  ;) .

unionpacific

mescaline
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »
If battery acid is all you can get I would just make the citrate form out of a solution of citric acid, battery acid can be pretty dirty it could contain lead and shouldn't be consumed with a hallucinogen, a strong one at that. Or you could make a dilute solution of HCL to make mescaline hcl

either which way the salt should be washed and recrystallized to improve purity

KidCurry

I thought new battery acid was just dilute...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 10:12:00 AM »
I thought new battery acid was just dilute sulphuric acid without additives? I don't mean acid taken out from a battery, but the acid you buy to refill them.
And what's the solubility of M-HCl in water? I thought it was a lot mor soluble than the sulfate salt.

Recrystallisation/washing would of course be done.

unionpacific

refill acid
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »
Refill battery acid will probably work, it might or might not have a some additives depending where it came from, but it should be suitable for the task. What color is it? can you see any insolubles in the acid floating around?

KidCurry

I haven't actually got any yet.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 02:38:00 PM »
I haven't actually got any yet. This is purely theoretical thoughts. But if someday the synthesis of mescaline will become legal where I live, and I aquire some battery acid I will check for impurites and what the label says.

Thanks for the help everybody, really appreciate it! :)

Smilaxium

Add methanol ?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 01:23:00 AM »
I was just wondering if adding methanol to a 50/50 mixture of H2SO4 and H2O would reduce the amount of amphetamine that is dissolved...And even that would not be my first choice. Still you will loose too much precious crystals!