Author Topic: methyl-PA, methyl-DOPA, -> amp, mda?  (Read 2311 times)

indole

methyl-PA, methyl-DOPA, -> amp, mda?
« on: August 09, 2001, 04:07:00 AM »
I UTFSE and could not find anything specifically along these lines: 
Can the boiling decarboxylation used to go from tryptophan to tryptamine be used to go from PA to phenylethylamine?
If so:
Could alpha-methyl-PA be decarboxylated to amp?
AND
could alpha-methyl-DOPA be decarboxylated to 3,4-dihydroxy-amp, and easily be methylenated(sp) to mda?

amines to an end

Rhodium

Re: methyl-PA, methyl-DOPA, -> amp, mda?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
The answer to the first questions should be yes, and I believe there is some info on this at my page. On the third question, I think that the Methyl-DOPA molecule is to fragile to survive a decarboxylation.

indole

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2001, 02:39:00 PM »
Could the methylenation occur prior to the decarboxylation?
If so, would that withstand decarboxylation?

On another note, Shulgin stated methylenedioxy-phenylethylamine had no effect.  Would this be because it was broken down before the blood/brain barrier?  If so,
MD-PA should pass through and be decarboxylated, like L-DOPA, possibly having action?!?!?!

Sorry, I am just so full of questions and so few answers...

amines to an end

Rhodium

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
I believe that the amine group would interfer with a methylenation reaction, so that would be hard.

3,4-MD-PEA is probably very readily broken down by MAO enzymes, and it is also probably of very low potency even if taken with a MAOI. There are reports on my page of 3,4-dimethoxy-PEA being active at 500mg together with a MAOI.