Author Topic: xylocaine  (Read 2714 times)

supernate

xylocaine
« on: May 24, 2003, 09:53:00 PM »
i recently obtained a bottle conaining 1g/50mL lidocaine.HCl + epinephrine injection USP and i was wondering what could be done with either alkaloid? i have heard of a mysterious "adrenochrome" which can be obtained by an oxidation of epinephrine, but i have only heard of this adrenochrome as a psychocative through the writings of hunter s thompson. im open to suggestions on what to do with this stuff. it wont do me much good as a local anesthetic.

Aurelius

don't bother
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 10:28:00 PM »
lidocaine and epinephrine are both just a waste of time.

Rhodium

Denatonium Benzoate
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 02:01:00 AM »
Alkylation of Xylocaine with benzyl chloride to form the quaternary ammonium salt will give you Denatonium chloride, which is more known as its benzoate salt (Denatonium Benzoate), as it is the world’s bitterest known substance. 30 ppm of it added to any liquid (such as ethanol) renders it too bitter for most human test subjects to tolerate it.

supernate

xylocaine?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 02:06:00 AM »
xylocaine (brand name) is a mixture of two active components. which one are you alkylating, epinephrine or lidocaine?

Rhodium

Xylocaine (brand) = Lidocaine (generic )
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 02:21:00 AM »
No, Xylocaine (brand name) and Lidocaine (generic name) are synonyms, see

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lidocaine

I was referring to Lidocaine. It is possible that the preparation you are referring to also contains epinephrine (adrenaline), but that is not part of the definition for Xylocaine.