Author Topic: Plant extract w/o clean np solvent  (Read 1326 times)

urushibara

Plant extract w/o clean np solvent
« on: February 28, 2003, 05:13:00 PM »
Trawling through old posts on DMT world came across some ideas about alternatives to A/B extraction, and while responding to it I was hit by an inspiration. Here's a summary of the technique I came up with (it is partly due to having successfully made a solid crystalline, purish and active salt of dmt)

1. Extract as per normal A/B using acidified solution, except use tartaric acid as the acidifying agent.
2. boil down filtered aqueous extract to workable quantity. (500-1000ml)
3. In a large glass jar pour in acid extract, then add an excess of acetone. (theory is that dmt tartrate won't dissolve in acetone and crash out with say 2L of acetone poured in)
4. Chill acetone crashed solution in the fridge overnight (to be sure dmt tartrate forms large enough crystals to get caught in the filter)
5. filter acetone crashed solution. DMT tartrate and non-acetone soluble gak will be caught in the filter.
6. Wash precipitate with naptha, ligher fluid, whatever, then run through filter to ensure maximum removal of nonpolars, and allow precipitate to dry of nonpolar after pressing it.
7. Wash precipitate with saturated cold salty water.
8. press precipitate to ensure as much as posible of washing solvents is removed.
9. Add an ample quantity of sodium bicarbonate to precipitate, add a small amount of water, mix thoroughly to ensure that all acid ions are gathered by the sodium in the bicarbonate. Do this directly on a drying dish so that the solution can be spread thinly.
10. Dry solution out, this will enable dmt freebase to stick to the glass, in part due to its higher density and nonpolar character.
11. Wash off dry sodium bicarbonate and sodium tartrate that results.
12. redissolve resultant freebase in IPA or methanol to recrystallise.

I realise this process is somewhat more involved than a simple acid base extraction, but washings are quite rapid anyway, only the acetone crash and bicarb dehydrating stage require a lot of time, and the main reason why anyone would want to do it this way is that it doesn't require good nonpolar solvents. Ligher fluid crap, that is crap that is, works fine as a defatting agent. All chemicals described would be easily acquired OTC and bulk quantities would not be at all suspicious. The only possible drawback is in the amount of acetone that would be required, though an equal amount to the aqueous extract would probably be enough, and boiling down to lesser quantities (like 200-300ml) would further reduce the amounts of acetone needed.

Does the technique sound to other bees like it would result in super pure freebase extract?

urushibara

Does this post belong elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 09:16:00 PM »
Looking at all the forums I can't really see where this fits in. It's specifically about the extraction of DMT from plants...

Doesn't matter, delete, move whatever, SWIM knows where to get tol now.

heavenadisaster

i want to bring this back to the top.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 02:03:00 PM »
i want to bring this back to the top.  Has anyone given this a try since the post months ago?  In addition to avoiding the np solvents, this might also be worthwhile because of higher yields; less migrations and washes etc.

rudebwoy

hm
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 01:21:00 AM »
I was under the impression the tryptamines will damage at higher temperatures

boil down filtered aqueous extract to workable quantity. (500-1000ml)

I never worked with tryptamines before but i'm curious.

boiling under vacuum?