Author Topic: A Pair of Newbee Questions Regarding Solvents  (Read 1695 times)

xbnmx

A Pair of Newbee Questions Regarding Solvents
« on: November 17, 2003, 06:57:00 PM »
I have a pair of questions.  First off, syntheses often call for the use of what they call ether, and since it's measured in milliliters, it's obviously a solution.  Are they referring strictly to ethyl ether, or will diethyl ether do the trick?  Secondly, I was going over a synthesis where they instructed one to wash the product with "brine."  What exactly are they referring to when they say "brine," simply saline?  Thank you very much for any help you can give me!

Oxygen

a couple of answers
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 07:39:00 PM »
Ethyl ether and diethyl ether are the same thing.

Brine is a saturated or nearly saturated salt solution.

xbnmx

I see...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications!  At what point can a solution be considered saturated?

k0dog

ok...
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 09:01:00 PM »

At what point can a solution be considered saturated?

OK.. well have you ever taken grade 11 chemistry you would know taht it is the maximum allowable dissolution of your solid (usually.. but for your question it is NaCl).  Anyways in water you would have to find the specific Ksp for NaCl at the temperature you want, and then just add that much into a volumetic flask. then add distilled water.

If you are using another solvent, say NH3 then you would have to find the specific solubility of NaCl in that solvent.  So start searching... or using a Merck or Physical & Chemical Handbook... cuz taht is easy... actually goto you libary since they need more ppl.

Also if you plan on making this thing... you could just freaking dissolve the maximum ammount of salt in solvent (pure)... anything that precipitates out.. means that the solution is "full".... but you really should have learned this.. in like grade school.... not from me

Rhodium

making brine
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »
Add 250g of salt to 1000 mL water. Stir or shake occasionally for an hour. Some salt should still be left on the bottom. The liquid above is saturated salt solution.

Cook4Fun

Take Organic
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »
Man, not trying to knock you or anything, but I couldn't even being understand this site till I took Organic.  I loved the class.

Anywho, you wanna cook now, right?

I would STRONGLY recomend trying to get a copy of Total Synthesis 2 and a used organic lab book, The Organic Chemistry Lab Survival Manual is the best entry level book I found.  Books kick ass.  Catalogs are just as cool, but they cant be sent to INDIVIDUALS from the monster companies.  Hint, hint.

As far as websites Rhodium.ws is my homepage.  There is sooooooooo much info there that helpful.  I can't begin to say enough about this place.

Good luck, and don't rush shit dude.  It took me almost a year to do my first cook, but it was well worth the wait knowing I wasn't going to kill myself and that I was doing it right.

xbnmx

Well actualy...
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »

Gringo

Just ONE point from a newbee: WAIT AND BE...
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 07:11:00 AM »
Just ONE point from a newbee:

WAIT AND BE PATIENT!!!

If you do shit and you get caught, its as bad for other bees, than it is for you!
For Example:
YOu get caught with Total Synthesiss a bag full of sassi and the Lab's survivel manuel, than it is clear what you are about! And thats bad for the others who need the sassi to survive. COKKING MIGHT BE THE ONLY CHANCE FOR THEM TO SURVIVE. And when you get caught itz might happenthat some stuuf gets forbidden because of using it!!
Or if you are a europe bee:
Imagine you buy Phosphor from a Science-"Shop". The Phosphor explodes because of bad handling and stupidiness. The Law get in knowledge, where the Phos was bought. Then the court says: "JUST SELL TO CHEMISTS AND NOT TO EVERYONE ELSE". Than somebody will gets really anoyed, because he cant cook anymore, and that was his ONLY CHANCE TO SURVIVE and feed his kids gfrom the money he is getting by cooking....

Do you get the Point???

Well. but good luck and: reading is the key to all froms of rocking!!