Author Topic: Decarboxylation  (Read 3476 times)

Aurelius

Decarboxylation
« on: November 21, 2002, 03:37:00 PM »
What factors contribute to the ease of a decarboxylation by heat?  (as in Ritter's decarboxylation in high bp ketones)  how easy would it be to decarboxylate the product in the first step of

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/alpha-methylhydrocinnamic.html

?

Rhodium

Decarboxylation of alpha-methyl-cinnamic acid
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2002, 07:42:00 PM »
alpha-methyl-cinnamic acid -> cis-propenylbenzene (Reflux, Quinoline, Copper powder)

J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 1, 10, 2491-2498 (1982)

alpha-methyl-cinnamic acid -> 2-bromo-propenylbenzene (NaBr, Oxone, Na2CO3(aq), 20°C)

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/cinnamic.halodecarboxylation.pdf

Aurelius

wow
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 09:14:00 PM »
Hey Rhodium, it's horrible that you will never fully understand the gratitude aurelius has for you.  thanks again!!! :)

Rhodium

I'd be very glad if you could send your results ...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 09:33:00 PM »
I'd be very glad if you could send your results back to me with a full writeup.  :)  I don't lack literature and information, but I severely lack time and possibility to perform all the practical experiments I'd like to perform.

Rhodium

Aurelius: Here you go with another article - ...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 11:58:00 PM »

pHarmacist

cinnamic acid
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 02:49:00 AM »
Speaking about cinnamic acid derivatives, I've seen in Synthesis or Syntlett, route to nitrostyrenes from cinnamic acids + 15% HNO3 and T of -30 - 0 Celsius + MW from domestic owen, reaction gave excellent yields of nitrostyrenes.

Rhodium

more details?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 04:57:00 AM »
Nice, but could you post the actual citation for that article? (Thieme's site includes a search engine if you lack any notes)

pHarmacist

Hmm..
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 07:50:00 AM »
I'll get it, I have the off-line copy at my mums place and I don't know more that that. However, at a bit higher temperatures 0 < T, the nitration takes place also on the ring, but at -30 it dosen't, at even higher temperatures the explosive picric acid (spellcheck) is a byproduct.

Chromic

Couldn't find it
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 09:41:00 AM »
I did a quick search on thieme, but couldn't find it... looking for the keywords, nitrostyrene, nitric or microwave or combinations thereof.