Author Topic: Toluene in LWR  (Read 2417 times)

sorcerer

Toluene in LWR
« on: May 24, 2004, 10:06:00 AM »
Will a small amount of Toluene left in Sudo advertly effect Rp I2 Reaction?

12cheman12

well you should dry the pseudo out COMPLETLY...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 11:01:00 AM »
well you should dry the pseudo out COMPLETLY before putting it into the reaction. But since your askin this question im guessing you already put it in. So from here on, if it affects it or not (which probably will depending on how much toluene is in it) you are going to just have to continue on and see what you get.

thunderfvck

I don't think it's a problem.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »
I don't think it's a problem. The HI will probably react with the toluene and give you some product that will do nothing but sit around and play with itself. But you know, that's precious HI that COULD have reacted with your pseudo...Ah. What a shame. But anyways, I don't think it will ruin everything. Did I mention I could be wrong?

wareami

Successes
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 02:48:00 PM »
Some bees have reported successes doing completely condensorless rxns...
One would think that heating the flask uncapped would drive off the tolly as it evaps at a faster rate than h2o.
Just a guess.
That should only be done if the rxn is completely stalled after a significant amount of time.
It's going for 36-48hr if it's LWR, so see what it does by itself without screwing with it.
It's hard to advise on matters that haven't been experienced first hand.
Good Luck

ordinaryguy

traces of tolly
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »
if indeed the toulene is minimal, and there is no residual fillers hiding in the moisture, you should be ok without adjusting the HI quantity. If the quantity of toulene is substantial you may consider running a portion of the reaction without a condenser to allow the vapors time to escape. It might be a good idea to do this during the HI reflux of 24 hours, just prior to adding your E. Another thing to consider if the quantity is substantial is that you potentially could create a very flamable environment at a much lower temperature. I would suggest drying your E completely prior to adding to the rxn. After all it only takes moments to dry if it in fact is really only toulene.

fierceness

I remember a post being here saying that ...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 11:53:00 PM »
I remember a post being here saying that toluene will not affect the reaction at all.  In fact, it may lower the time necessary for a complete reaction since it will dissolve the I2 and allows for a bigger surface area to react with the RP.

I wish I could find that post!

amalgum

Toluene and water form an azeotrope that boils
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 11:01:00 AM »
Toluene and water form an azeotrope that boils off first.  So no, you cannot try to "drive" off the toluene, it'll take water with it and throw off your reaction.  Just finish the rxn in a closed flask, and work-up as usually, chances are nothings wrong.  Next time make sure the shit is dry, don't rush it.  Good things come to those who are patient enough to wait.