Author Topic: Reduction of PN2P with 10% Pt/C  (Read 2835 times)

Grignard

Reduction of PN2P with 10% Pt/C
« on: November 11, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »
What would be the best reaction condition for such a type of reaction? I mixed about 6g PN2P with 1g 10% platina on activated carbon in 200ml of MeOH and 10 ml 12 M HCl, would this reaction work under atmospheric pressure of hydrogen?? And will there be any wisible reaction? :-[

Rhodium

Advanced TFSE Query
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »
UTFSE for "hydrogenation nitro????ene (" Pt" OR Platinum)"

* hydrogenation also catches "catalytic hydrogenation" and "catalytic transfer hydrogenation" (but not CTH, but that only gave two more hits, so I didn't want to complicate it more than necessary).

* nitro????ene catches both "nitrostyrene" and "nitropropene", but leaves out a lot of trash gotten by searching for "nitro*ene". It won't catch "nitro olefin" or "nitroethene" though.

* (" Pt" OR Platinum)" catches all occurrences of either Pt or Platinum. The reason I included a space before the Pt in " Pt" is to avoid catching words like "excerpt" or "except" while still finding stuff like "Pt/C".

Here you go - 36 hits. Also check my page, but the search engine there is not as advanced as TFSE so be kind to it  ;)

Grignard

:-) This doesnt seem to brighten my day very...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 03:06:00 PM »
:) This doesnt seem to brighten my day very much.. but i observe a drop in the hydrogen pressure, this must be possitive! I just have to wait and see i guess.. I start to get tired of these PN2P reductions, what would be the result if i oxidise it with KMnO4?

Bandil

Depending on the pH you'd probably either...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 12:52:00 AM »
Depending on the pH you'd probably either split the double bond or make a pair or conjugated -OH groups.

Under alkaline conditions the 1,2-diol will form, and i cant tell if it will be transformed into something else, as there's a nitro group on the same carbon as one of the -OH groups.

Under acidic conditions, the molecule splits into two, where benzoylic-acid and nitropropionic acid will be formed. Don't know if nitropropionic acid is stable enough to stay as it is...

But no matter how, you probably wont get anything useable(at least in hive context) out of it  :)

Regards
Bandil

Grignard

This reduction seemed to fail, but that wasnt...
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 04:28:00 AM »
This reduction seemed to fail, but that wasnt any shock..  :P   :)