Author Topic: Difference between Ephedrine and Psudoephedrine?  (Read 35689 times)

Kirt

Difference between Ephedrine and Psudoephedrine?
« on: December 22, 1999, 03:48:00 PM »

I am a beginner to the chemistry field and could someone tell me the difference between Ephedrine and Psudoephedrine? Can a person extract the E needed out of ephedrine as well as he/she can from psudoephedrine? What ingrediants need I look for that I do not want?? Someone, Please? Also, here is a dumb one, what is H2O2?

------------------

I'm out! The Captain

hypo

Re: Difference between Ephedrine and Psudoephedrine?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 1999, 06:59:00 PM »
E differs from P by configuration on the carbon bearing the OH-group. Since OH group is probably what you want to remove, P is as good as E.

H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. I suggest that you do not proceed to the experimentation level until you get some chemistry intro.

Kirt

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 1999, 10:18:00 PM »
Hey Hypo, I know my questions sound dumb but I already had a dream and it was a beautiful one! The yeild could use a little improving but the dream was sweet! I just ain't to hip on all the chemcal terms! WHich would be very helpful if I were! So one can extract good e from ephedrine just as well as psudoephidrine? I was told awhile back that the ephedrine pills were not what I wanted! It was the psudo only!
Anyone help me understand Y this would be true?

------------------

I'm out! The Captain

Android

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 1999, 01:47:00 PM »
The only difference that's important to me between the two, is psuedo's readily available where I live. That, and I don't care for the high the Ephedrine reduced meth gives me. Leans more towards the adrenaline and not enough euphoria.
Chemically, they're mirror images of each other. Kinda like a newbee and a gnat.

------------------
"ARROGANT & CYNICAL"
(Ticklish,too!)

mrr pyrex

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 1999, 02:32:00 PM »
Good one Android!!  Gnat and Newbee....Rollin on the floor, pissin uncontrollably :-) Pyrex out of piss

hypo

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 1999, 05:02:00 PM »
E and P are NOT mirror images, damnit! They are epimers, it means they differ in only one stereocenter.

Xtract

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 1999, 05:26:00 PM »
Droid I respect youre opinion are you saying there is a differance in highs? Ive thought for a long time they maybeee way differant. You noticed they took Ephedrine off the market? Why???? Psudo is Psudo i.e. not th....  same not mirror images, Phuck I hate when I cant seee what Ive typed. Do any of you know what they really look like?

Xmenot

Android

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 1999, 12:32:00 AM »
I see no argument with the newbee/gnat theory, wypo. Not certain of you facts, maybe?
Xgnat. Brown nosing will only attract flies. What I'm saying is of no importance. Ask anyone!

------------------
"ARROGANT & CYNICAL"
(Ticklish,too!)

dextram

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 1999, 12:50:00 AM »
That sounds like pretty reputable talk the real question would of course be though will in fact due to the difference in the chirality of the epicentrical OH group will this in fact cause slightly different reactions such that possibly during workup maybe pseudo goes through transition upon the c2 spot and that ephedrine would go through trabsition in the c5 spot irregardless of these activities how many might agree that this in fact is a cyclization event in the benzene ring???

I have some reliable pictures of pseudo and the structure problem is the citation is not so specific in the dfination of the diagrams it appears pseudo forms a bit of a different ester, that the ster is in fact not a benzene ring strugture I dont know enough about different esters to really explain presently but these esters concerned might possibly be esters from that umm stuff a while back umm something explosive it is um found in asprin apparently can be got from asprin, used to make colored crystals to check for MDMA apparently is a process for eluting chemical physical charesterics um posed within the last month I belive, I think polymerization is a real posibility with and strange products whith these methods including many possible amphetamine like substances not all of course should be defined as meth.

anhydrous

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2000, 06:41:00 AM »
refluxing your psudo will give you 50/50 and old trick of mine

Sky

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2000, 07:22:00 AM »
I've got DL psudoephadrine from DR. that made much better meth than the OTC shit you can get I know its been Discussed in here I think there are different Isomers in both psudo and Ephadrine. and the shit you get OTC is not going too be the good stuff.

Methamphibian man

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2000, 12:04:00 PM »
Just an observation: sudafed 12 hour is a pill that has ONLY psudeoephedrine in it with a thin outside coating that is easily scraped and peeled or washed off. it is the cheapest price too!

Yman

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2000, 12:50:00 PM »
Hey wow,...Android did not really flame us ! and in his own way really did answer our questions. Thanks Wo.... An. Did you see the way Worlock trashed that guy the other day? POor NewBee> Seeyaa.

Xaja

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2000, 12:50:00 PM »
Yeah but it's got binder shit in it that can make life very difficult. Although you can dissolve it in cold water, filter real quick with a buckner, then heat it. Whole lotta jelly shit comes out. But now the bitch: it won't filter anymore. Jelly shit clogs filters. But for small quantities, heat it in an enamel dish and the jelly shit seems to stick to the enamel. But it really is a bitch. Avoid them if you can.

Snotbrain

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2000, 11:49:00 PM »
Anhydrous, please explain further your reflux routine. ??  You reflux what, how, to get what??

H2O2 is what it takes to make you blonder, kirt!  

Snotbrain

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2000, 12:44:00 AM »
I wonder if the reflux accomplishes the same thing as the heating and pressurization referred to in the dwarfer "nickel" thread? (By readyeddie)

do you use acid also: or just water??

snodder

Acme

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2000, 08:51:00 AM »
This came up in the general forum 3 monthes ago

posted 10-12-1999 09:03 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This will seem pathetic, but is the d- or l- isomer the desired one, and how exactly is pseudoephedrine different from ephedrine (just stereochemistry or r they consitutionally different)
Also are any of these compounds at all stimulating on there own, or dangerous? (i know of an OTC medicine which is DXM and pseudo, any problems there?)

Acme
Member   posted 10-12-1999 01:58 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoping you can deciper this shorthand
They both have the formula
C6H5CH[CH(NHCH3)CH3]OH
they differ in stereochemistry
eph (-) 1R,2S
eph (+) 1S,2R
psu (-) 1R,2R
psu (+) 1S,2S
Not sure which is called d- or l- . It would be a wild guess to say (+) is d im just not sure.
Hopefully some wiser bee can clue us in on which is d or l and which one would be best (for your cold, of course)

CHEM GUY
Member   posted 10-12-1999 02:00 PM          
Slappy, where did you get that info? I'm not questioning you but I just want the reference-

CHEM GUY
Member   posted 10-12-1999 09:15 PM          
From Fornsic science international, 48 (1990), 123-34
"...(-) ephedrine or (+) pseudoephedrine yeilds (+) methamphetamine."

From the journal of Forensic science, page 956

"...(-) ephedrine and (+) pseudoephedrine yeild d-methamphetamine"

Therefore (+) methamphetamine is d-methamphetamine.

Archaic~Sage

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2000, 11:14:00 AM »
" Can a person extract the E needed out of
                    ephedrine as well as he/she can from psudoephedrine? "

First off, one cant extract E from ephedrine because E is ephedrine. What you want is the ephedrine or psuedoephedrine that is in common cold pills.

the alkilne ephedrine is the precurser that you use to produce(dreams).
It dosent really matter which you use because they will both work...psuedo is also my fave. because it produces nicer dreams for me...

becareful some pills have crap in them called  a binder that turns into a plastic or rubber shit when you try to extract them...
ruins it and is hard to clean up...

SAGE

Mo Diddly

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2000, 06:12:00 AM »
Helvetica Chemical Acta 1929 pg 365+ is the best reference that I've ever seen on the subject.  If a library isn't nearby get a plane ticket and go there or have someone get the reference for you.

Blanka

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2000, 07:15:00 AM »
they took off ephedrine off the market because it raises blood pressure... pseudo lowers it... pseudo is therefore more desirable as a nasal decongestion. What would pills contain that the Ephedra plant wouldn't have to make the resulting meth less potent or what does the plant contain? I BELIEVE the pseudo in pills has the synthetic form that converts to inactive meth making the meth made from pills "cut". what a good way to piss meth cooks off. But either way the plant shit is better... never tried reducing pure ephedrine from pills though.. hard to find... it's usually in the energy pills rather than in the nasal decongestions. Any suggestions to what I can do with the nor-ephedrine that I pulled outta the plantS?