Author Topic: STB question  (Read 3650 times)

energeticoner

STB question
« on: July 07, 2004, 10:44:00 AM »
Would it be beneficial to use a drying agent with the Xylene and MEK before use?

Oh yeah, and VE just says to use "salt", but wouldn't rock salt be better than regular uniodized table salt?

Thanks in advance.

Buckshot

i havent dried a solvent
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »
I have never dried a solvent in my life. I buy them at the hardware store in a can with the solvents name on it, just like most of us do, and sure it may contian a little water, but the solvents still work fine.
But I dont use Xylene or MEK

Osmium

> wouldn't rock salt be better than regular
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 01:19:00 AM »
> wouldn't rock salt be better than regular uniodized table salt?

Aren't they exactly the same thing?

evilscripter69

You might want to...
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 02:00:00 AM »
Check out this thread... deconstructionist thought / Uncle Fester... special attention to Festers anti Gakk method(works very well) as theres new crap that hides in the pfed and carries all the way through. AND ITS VERY NASTY SHIT !
SWIE'S friend is currently testing the reaction results and will return with results.

evilscripter69

forgot to give post number
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 02:07:00 AM »

Hive

(https://www.the-hive.ws):

Post 515043 (missing)

(UncleFester: "once more with the name brand...", Stimulants)
:

energeticoner

NaCL/Sodium Chloride, yes, but ground up rock...
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 11:06:00 AM »
NaCL/Sodium Chloride, yes, but ground up rock salt (for making ice cream and such) seems to bee preferred in most uses. Like for post rx cases to attract any h20 away from the goods.

But anyway, mainly just curious if any small amounts of h20 in the Xyl/MEK from them being non lab grade could cause them to be slightly less effective in STB.

geezmeister

drying common solvents
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 11:37:00 AM »
You won't need to dry xylene, VM&P Naptha, camp fuel, or odorless mineral spirits to use them making methamphetamine. I haven't used tolulene in several years, and did not dry it when I did.

You should, however, dry acetone and MEK. If you don't think the drying is helpful, let your rinse acetone evaporate slowly-- the undried acetone will have a good deal more crystal formation when it finally evaps off than the dried acetone will. The same is true of the MEK. The simple explanation is the water in the undried acetone and MEK both dissolve a good deal more meth than dried acetone or MEK does. Additionally, you will occasionally get a can of acetone that is higher than average in water content and you'll think you meth yield is miserable until that rinse acetone drops the meth out over the next week. Most prefer not to take that chance.

You can always claim the goods from the grime in the acetone jar if you want... most prefer to get the clean stuff from their second recrystalization.

Whether drying these solvents is critical to pseudoephedrine HCl extraction depends on your method of extraction. Some pills are still very sensitive to moisture, and that includes the moisture in solvents. For these, at a minimum, drying the solvents used is still advisable.

wareami

Schools of thought...
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »
No wonder I always got detention for daydreaming :P
Geez: This question came up at WetDreams the other day. Briefly, this was my response
Depending on what is trying to be accomplished, hygroscopic amounts of h2o can bee a good thing in tone. Whether washing or re-xtalling pfed or meth.
But more so with meth.
The Tone alone(dry) is great at removing excess acidity, but for purification purposes aside from re-xtalling along with alky, it removes little else when dry.
This is ware the hygroscopic amount of h2o can beecum an aid at dissolving and removing some water soluble impurities.
Granted...wet tone will pull goodz, but consider it another step toward purity and a rainy day surprise container, as you pointed out above.
A rewash with straight tone after evapping the trash/goodz will yield the rest of the xtals while carrying away just the trash impurities. Ibee's grown some huge shards sitting in backwash for a week or two.
But for purification purposes, when it's thought of in that light, it's easy to see the benefits of h2o's trash pulling properties against the alternative side of using just Dry Tone.
Dry tone, pulling only what is soluble in it!
Yes it may be considered just a matter of preference in the long run. A full blown rextalling versus WetTone Washing runs close to neck and neck, IMHO.
The deciding factor will always be how much work one is willing to employ is search of purity.
Just a few considerations from another school of thought! :)
At Ibee HIGH School, The Kidz enjoy letting the scrubbers scrub while they are out playing at recesstime! Or "Out to Lunch" may be a more accurate description! ;)  ;D

energeticoner

Thx for the replies, answers SWIMS question...
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »
Thx for the replies, answers SWIMS question indeed!

And SWIM really appreciates Geez other posts as they are detailed and informative, keep them comming!

abominator

In other bees experience, is it best to run...
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »
In other bees experience, is it best to run the wet solvent thru the drying agent in a filter or throw the drying agent in w/ the solvent and then filter out?

geezmeister

on using wet acetone
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 09:25:00 PM »
Ware: If you like the effect of wet acetone you still should dry it first. That way you can add the precise amount of water you want to the acetone to obtain the effect you want. Otherwise you gamble with the percentage of moisture in the can, which in my experience can vary considerably. I've had cans that were way, way too wet to call acetone.

Acetone rinsing to me is a prep step to dual solvent recrystallization. I rely more on recrystallizing to clean any miscellaneous reaction products out of the meth than I do acetone.

I could claim that since most of my reactions are done with pristine, a/b extracted pseudo, I don't need water in the acetone to rinse stuff our of my meth like the folks who extract pseudo with alcohol do...  ;D  Before the introduction of the newer gakks, there may have been some truth to that...  ;)

And you know I couldn't let that opportunity for quick philosophical jab to get by... didn't you?

Gluecifer: Put some drying agent in the can, and let it work overnight before using the solvent.

abominator

>>Gluecifer: Put some drying agent in...
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 05:11:00 AM »
>>Gluecifer: Put some drying agent in the can, and let it work overnight before using the solvent

Thanx for clearing that UP Geez, because swim has read directions to do it both ways.