Author Topic: Separating NaCl and Meth.HCl  (Read 2970 times)

jammin

Separating NaCl and Meth.HCl
« on: April 28, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »
My friend has done his first rxn and did and overkill on the HCl titration and ended up with a yellow powder...

He then tried to save it by adding aquaous NaOH to neutralize, but the ended up with a massive amount of salt (he should have seen this comming...)

So he asked for help.
Someone suggested to redo the AB, and he did. The problem was that he had just 6 Ph papers left.

In addition they were pretty useless, it was diffcult to see the difference between the Ph values, causing him to overdo the HCl again... :(

Then someone suggested to wash with dry acetone. That worked like a charm! :)

Thanks, you know who you are!

Now, it still seems that he has much salt in his product after evaping. Sure tastes like it.

Can this be seperated another way?

He only has about 1G left, so another AB wont work for him i think...

It perhaps NaCl solubole in something the desired product isnt? Or some other shortcut?

He understands if there isnt, but if there is he'd probably like to know... ;)

Any help whould be greatly.. well, y'know...

wareami

Alky
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 12:37:00 AM »
NaCl is insoluble in alcohol provided there isn't a large amount of h2o in the alky. ;)  8)

jammin

Great!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »
He has some fresh distilled IPA, will the NaCl dissolve in this, and not the meth.hcl?

(he hass hiiiiigh hopes, hiiiigh hopes...  8) )

place

Pure?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 12:44:00 AM »
Are you sure that it is pure meth? I don't have the big knowlegde on this subject, but I have heard that if the product is not cleaned up problerly, iodoephedrin and HI are left in the product. And iodoephedrine and HI will make free I2 after a while, that can cause the yellow/orange colour.

But again;

I don't have the big knowlegde on this subject

:)

fierceness

Meth dissolves in alcohol. NaCl does not.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 01:27:00 AM »
Meth dissolves in alcohol.  NaCl does not.

jammin

heh, yep
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 02:06:00 AM »
Just dissolved the (white) powder in IPA stirred and heated a bit, then filtered and evaped the IPA.
Needless to say there wasnt much left after the evap, but my friend is biotesting it now... ;)

Anyway, what would be a good method to test how pure the meth is? i thought about laying a line on a glass surface and gradually increace temp to sample the melting point.

It that at all any good test? I mean if it isnt pure i would perhaps not know more that just that, that it isnt pure?

elfspice

effects and dose
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 05:10:00 AM »
if you know what 10mg looks like, or better still, can measure it, assay that amount. If it seems to be weak in its effect, you can be sure it's not very pure meth (ie less than 50%) as 10mg of meth should give a noticable kick. if you smoke more, the effects of the ephedrine will start to kick in and you will notice these - elevated body temperature, jitters, headachy etc etc. iodometh smells quite distinctive but you should have got most of that out already.

fierceness

SWIM usually just smokes a keybump of it and...
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 04:44:00 AM »
SWIM usually just smokes a keybump of it and sees if he feels the effects