Author Topic: solid phase extraction to beat new gaak (PMMA)  (Read 3637 times)

embezzler

solid phase extraction to beat new gaak (PMMA)
« on: March 30, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »
swim was doing revision lately and came up with the idea of using a solid phase extraction to remove gaak from otc pseudoephedrine pills. i havnt seen much on tfse in the stim forum about SPE.

the plan would go something like this :

performing the usual extractions and washes to obtain the p-eph.hcl mixed with the gaak.

basing this mixture to get freebase ephedrine.
now the poly(vinyl alcohol-co-vinyl acetate)( structure explained by wareamis post) has hydrophilic -oh groups enclosing its acetate groups. i wonder if it would be possible by increasing the ph to remove a h group from these oh groups???

if this is a credible situation then the polymer would have an external negative charge,  ya??

under the same increased ph conditions the .hcl of the ephedrine would be removed from the molecule leaving a posative amine group, ya??

i propose passing this mixture through a column of si-oh that has also had its protons removed by solvating with a solution basic solution pH >9

the thinking is that the posative charged freebase will attach itself to the now negatively charged oxygen atoms on the si-0h

the pmma could then simply be vacuumed through the column and discarded allowing the eph to be eluted using an acidic solvent??

and then recrystallised.

this is just a quick thought and there are a few questions for more experienced bees:
1) will the increased ph alter the shape of the poly(vinyl alcohol-co-vinyl acetate)signifigantly to expose the acetate groups?

2) will the freebase be equally likely to bond to the negative o on the pmma?

3) are there any glaringly obvious flaws that i have failed to detect?

4) is this too much work for the 30mg per pill?

(i inserted this too late so it is on the bottom)

edit: poly(vinyl alcohol-co-vinyl acetate)

Osmium

There are no acetate groups in ...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »
There are no acetate groups in polymethylmethacrylate.

embezzler

my mistake
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »
that was the structure of poly(vinyl alcohol-co-vinyl acetate).sorry.

if the pmma resides in the centre of this molecule then would the above spe work theoretically?

wareami

PMMA=Plexiglass
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
It's obvious that we aren't dealing with plexiglass here but a modified co-polymer and embezzler may not be far off the mark with a pH adjusting proposal regardless of the presence of an acetate residing inside a coiled polymer.
His foresight and creative imagination is commendable in my eyes.
Hang tight while I disect some more info regarding what exactly we are dealing with here.
The modified PMMA specimen, if in fact it's as simple as that!
I think it goes beyond just a simple PMMA modification in complexity.
Hang tight...

Osmium

> Hang tight while I disect some more info...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 02:22:00 PM »
> Hang tight while I disect some more info regarding what exactly we are
> dealing with here.
> The modified PMMA specimen, if in fact it's as simple as that!
> I think it goes beyond just a simple PMMA modification in complexity.
> Hang tight...

Can't you at least TRY to say what you want to say without all that wanker talk?

wareami

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 03:56:00 PM »
Last time I checked, this was a discussion forum.
King of the oneliners I am not.
It takes me twenty just to get out of bed ;D
And we're no longer dealing with simple h2o based extractions.
So, in keeping with my x-stream wankerabiltity and proof of such....especially since you've neglected to do anything about that chronic assholism... ;)  :) here is a new patent for you to chew on and digest. :P
Which....coincidently shoots holes into duplicating "Stomach Digestive Solvation" extraction possibilities being kicked around as of late.
Ya think they saw us cumming??? :-[
It incorporates pH buffering that prevents the drug form from releasing virtually any active ingredient in the stomach and enables uniform and long-lasting release of active ingredient in the intestine, in particular shortly before or only in the colonic region.
How Nifty is that...Ya???
Think Deep on this bees!
Issued October 14, 2003.(It was filed 23 months prior to approval)

Patent US6632454

Notes of special interest under
Examples of Active Ingredients
New Active Ingredients and Active Ingredients Under-going Development and Testing

Literature from Relevant Pharmaceutical Databases Known to the Skilled Worker

Both of which reek of non-disclosure in light of being listed among 38 substances >:(

Abstract

The invention relates to the use of a multilayer pharmaceutical product that substantially comprises a) a core containing a pharmaceutically active substance, b) an inner coating consisting of a copolymer or a mixture of copolymers that are composed of 85 to 98 wt.- % of radically polymerized C1 to C4 alkyl esters of the acrylic or methacrylic acid and 15 to 2 wt.- % of (meth)acrylate monomers with a quaternary ammonium group in the alkyl group, and c) an outer coating consisting of a copolymer that is composed of 75 to 95 wt.- % of radically polymerized C1 to C4 alkyl esters of the acrylic or methacrylic acid and 5 to 25 wt.- % of (meth)acrylate monomers with an anionic group in the alkyl group. The inventive product is used for producing a pharmaceutical product that releases the active substance contained therein according to the USP release test, at pH 1.2 during 2 hours and subsequent rebuffering to pH 7.0, by less than 5% after 2.0 hours after start of the test and by 30 to 80% after eight hours after start of the test.

embezzler

the abstract does not
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »
give the expected activity of the molecule/ polymer at elevated ph levels. if i understand correctly then the molecule/polymer is designed to release an insignifigant ammount of its active pharmaceutical ingredient (api) into the  stomach and has to be resistant to ph of the human stomach.

if the ph were increased as above what effect would that have on the compounds ability to release the api?

if the acid in our stomach is not helping us remove the gaak then what is?

the colon is stated as the release site on the patent application, why there what are the chemical influences that influence this?

thanks for the interest wareami

wareami

Eudragit
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 06:13:00 AM »
Product Description:
EUDRAGIT® E PO is a fine powder made from EUDRAGIT® E 100. The copolymer complies with monograph “Butylmethacrylat-(2-Dimethylaminoethyl)methacrylat-Mehtylmehtacrylat-Copolymer (1:2:1)” DAB 1998 (Deutsches Arzneibuch, German Pharmacopeia).
EUDRAGIT® E PO is suitable for the manufacture of protective and insulating coatings which dissolve in gastric fluid and of functional layers for transdermal therapy systems (TTS).

Plus a rather disturbing find....
These co-polymer are classified as
Mutagen compounds :o

http://hazard.com/msds/tox/tf/q80/q17.html

http://hazard.com/msds/tox/tf/q80/q34.html

Plus...another new patent of relevance issued Nov 04, 2003

Patent US6641839

Pharmaceutical formulations for preventing drug tolerance

embezzler

mutagens this is sick
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 08:28:00 AM »
all to stop a bit of meth which wont alter the human genome! is this legal???

does that co-polymer exist something like this?

c6-h6-02.(c8-h15-n-02)2.c5-h8-02x

TheMaster

Are you sure this is for immediate release Ware?!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »