Author Topic: Addition of salt in Al/Hg reduction?  (Read 2336 times)

Jackhammer

Addition of salt in Al/Hg reduction?
« on: January 12, 2002, 04:53:00 PM »
In a post by Aminator (?) I printed out some time ago it is stated that when performing an Al/Hg reduction:

If 40% methylamine in water is used (instead of the MA salt) the following substitutions can be made. In sequence add 128g aqueous methylamine, 302 ml isopropyl alcohol (100%), a suspension of 84g NaCl (table salt) in 42 ml 25% NaOH that has been diluted to 235 ml with water, 89g (0.5 moles) of piperonylacetone, and finally 588ml isopropyl alcohol(100%).

Can someone tell me why the salt is added? Don't understand why it should be added . Well, never did this type of reaction so maybe there is a good reason....

I'm more curious about the things I dream than about things I see when awake!

___

Re: Addition of salt in Al/Hg reduction?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2002, 05:05:00 PM »
just a guess, but when MeAm HCl is basifiied with NaOH, NaCl is produced. My guess is that it plays no role in the rxn, but a maybe aminator was uncertain and so added it to cover his ass. Further i have no idea why he is adding the NaOH, he already has MeAm freebase, maybe to accelerate the rxn but again it is likely gratuitous.

Jackhammer

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2002, 06:58:00 PM »
Hmm...I was thinking the same but was not sure. I think you're right about why Aminator added the NaOH. I remember to have read that NaOH speeds up the reaction.....No scientific explanation however....just this remark. Damn, wish I had a bit more org. chem knowledge...

Osmium

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2002, 01:27:00 AM »
UTFSE. This very topic has been exhaustively discussed recently.

terbium

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2002, 03:15:00 AM »
Thread starting with

Post 251384 (missing)

(Chromic: "BrightStar writeup", Methods Discourse)

Chromic

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2002, 09:17:00 AM »
Basically:
1. you do not need NaOH with 40% MeAm (but do use external heat to keep rxn at right temp)
2. use molar equiv with MeAm.HCl and no less (read terbs post)
2. use of NaCl does not affect reaction either way

Jackhammer

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2002, 10:54:00 PM »
OK, OK, got the picture. Terbs suggestion was useful and yes I know I should have UTFSE Os.....Sometimes me prefers the easy way. Just a matter of being lazy.