Author Topic: Can Na2CO3.10 H2O be used in performic?  (Read 1395 times)

methlab

Can Na2CO3.10 H2O be used in performic?
« on: March 22, 2004, 12:27:00 AM »
Hi! Two hours ago i started a performic with 130g vacuum refluxed Isosafrole. 40g Na2CO3 or NaHCO3 is needed as buffering complex, i had just crystall soda (Na2CO3.10H2O) in stock, so i heated the so called Crystall Soda (Na2CO3.10H2O) in the oven at 180C for 15mins to remove the water and grinded it (100g gave 40g dry soda). The problem is that this powder does not dissolve in the iso/dcm mix. Should i filter it our and go for some real bakingsoda or will it dissolve after adding the peracid? Thanx.

methlab

could not wait,
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »
i filtered it out now and used bakingsoda right from the pharmacy. the solubility is a little bit better, but not as good as i thought. i will add the performicacid now, want to see if this method is really as easy as it seems to be...

hypo

doh!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »
it's not supposed to dissolve in DCM, fruitcake!

methlab

thanx,
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »
i like fruits.
thanx for your help, one hour earlier and i could exclude the filtering. but  have another question: why doesn't it start to warm up during performic addition? iso/bicarb/dcm mix and performicacid was chilled close to 0 C before addition. thanx

hypo

what are you doing?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »
where does it say that you should chill it to 0°C?
why don't you just follow the procedure as it is written?
remove any ice bath and let it run at RT. the DCM does the
temperature regulation. some people even heat to reflux.

methlab

thanx hypo
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 11:16:00 PM »
i think i misinterpreted LapTop's recipe. i have read a post where one told to cool everything, to prevent boiling. now i see in LabTop's recipe, he is just cooling the formicacid, not everything. after applying some heat to warm it to roomtemp, everything is working like he says. i think i must read more posts and more carefully.  thanx for your help. :-[