The Hive > Serious Chemistry

Hydrogenolysis of Phenylalaninol.....

<< < (7/7)

java:
I just put brackets around the post number you volunteered as reference and this is what came up, hence it's easier to just click and go to it than having to go to the search engine looking for them. This will help your posting next time you want to reference a post number............java

Post 9775 (in_outsider: "Tryptophol from Tryptophan via yeast", Tryptamine Chemistry)
Post 10417 (psyloxy: "Re: Tryptophol from Tryptophan via yeast", Tryptamine Chemistry)

P.S. Thank you for the reference as I will read it and comment if I have any questions or suggestions

java:
Thanks to gsus he has provided the referenced article Post 533954 (gsus: "Fieser and Fieser for java", Novel Discourse)....that was posted by Labrat...on the reduction of Phenylalaninol with the RP/I method ......java
Labrat
Member   posted 08-31-98 09:57 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Labrat has already proposed a method to reduce that -OH to an alkane by a known method: HI/red P reduction. This reagent is
used in the literature to reduce carbonyl, nitrite, halide and ALCOHOL groups.
For those who like literature:

"Reagents for Organic Synthesis" vol 1: p.449 ('67)
"Survey of Organic Synthesis" vol 7 .332 ('70)

Thanks Stony for the refs!~ Lr/
--- End quote ---

......... as read in Post 108462 (missing) (dormouse: "Action of (CH3)2SO4 on phenylalanine  -Labrat", Novel Discourse)
                          Post 101706 (missing) (Labrat: "Re: DLPA reduction with H2SO4", Chemistry Discourse)

Reagents for Organic Synthesis, Vol. 1, Wiley, 1967, p. 449.
L. Fieser and M. Fieser

Note.....edited by java

java:
Preparation of alpha ,alpha -Dimethyl- and N,alpha ,alpha -Trimethyl-beta -cyclohexylethylamine
Bernard L. Zenitz, Elizabeth B. Macks, Maurice L. Moore
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 70, 955-957 (1948) (https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/hi-rp.aminoalcohol2amine.pdf)

Excerp......
A reduction of alpha-methyl-norephedrine to alpha-methyl-amphetamine (Phentermine) with HI/P (80-88% yield). They use 20g RP to 0.4 moles of the aminoalcohol (66g, it has the same molar weight as ephedrine) together with 170 mL 57% HI. The mixture is reacted for 25h at reflux and 12h at room temp before workup (filtration, thiosulfate addition, acid/base extraction, distillation, gassing w/ HCl).

pdf is located at ......
Post 511694 (Rhodium: "HI/RP reduction of aminoalcohols", Stimulants)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version