Author Topic: Selective ortho-formylation of phenols  (Read 4276 times)

Rhodium

Rhodium

That has been taken care of
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 04:24:00 AM »
All Hive martyrs who die on their post from exhaustion while doing either practical or theoretical work for the Hive will naturally recieve their own personal harem of choice.

Aurelius

Sweet!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 08:08:00 AM »
Great! Now I've only got about 1,000,000 more to go before I die of blood loss from the bloody stumps that were once my fingers!

GC_MS

o-Formylation with dichloromethyl methyl ether
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 05:21:00 AM »
o-Formylation of electron-rich phenols with dichloromethyl methyl ether and TiCl4
O Garcia, E Nicolás, F Albericio

Tet. Lett. 44(27), 4961-4963 (2003)

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/o-formylation.dcmme.ticl4.pdf)
DOI:

10.1016/S0040-4039(03)01168-7

Abstract - o-Formylation of electron-rich phenols is accomplished with dichloromethyl methyl ether and TiCl4. The reaction gives excellent yields, good regioselectivity and does not leading to diformylation.

General procedure for the formylation reaction - Reagent were used as received without further purification. Dichloromethane (DCM) was passed through an alumina column, stored over CaH2 under an Ar atmosphere, and protected from the light.
A solution of the appropriate phenol (20-150 mmol) in DCM (1.5 mL/g phenol) was purged with N2, cooled with an ice bath, and TiCl4 (2.2 eq to obtain 1 and 2 and 5 eq to obtain 3-5) was added dropwise over 15-30 min. The reaction mixture was left to react for 30-60 min. Dichloromethyl methyl ether (1 eq) was added over 15  min and the mixture left to react for a further 1-2 h. The reaction was quenched by the addition of saturated NH4Cl solution and the mixture was left to stand for 1 h. The organic phase was separated and washed with 0.1 N HCl, saturated with NaHCO3 solution, and brine. The solution was dried over MgSO4, filtered, and the solvent evaporated under reduced pressure. The purified products were homogeneous by HPLC (nucleosil C18, 250x40 mm, 10 µm; linear gradient of CH3CN (+0.036% TFA) into H2O (+0.045% TFA) at 1.0 mL/min flow rate; 220 nm), and there were characterised using different physical techniques.

1 - 2-formyl-3,5-dimethoxyphenol
2 - 2-formyl-3,5,6-trimethylphenol
3 - 2-formyl-3,4,5-trimethoxyphenol
4 - 2,3-dihydro-2,2-dimethyl-4,5,6-trimethoxybenzofuran-7-carbaldehyde
5 - (8-formyl-3,4-dihydro-2-methyl-5,6,7-trimethoxy-2H-1-benzopyran-2-yl)-acetic acid

Pitty that dichloromethyl methyl ether is rather expensive. There have been more posts in the past concerning this formylation method. I suggest using TFSE for those who show interest in the reaction.

Rhodium

Dichloromethyl methyl ether synthesis
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 07:02:00 AM »
Here is a synthesis of Dichloromethyl methyl ether:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/dcmme.htm

GC_MS

Dichloromethyl methyl ether
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »
Maybe I should give the dichloromethyl methyl ether synthesis a shot. I'm not a big fan of PCl5 though... The formylation looks elegant. Anyone practical experience to share?

All Hive martyrs who die on their post from exhaustion while doing either practical or theoretical work for the Hive will naturally recieve their own personal harem of choice.

I already feel quite dead... *making zombie-like movements* Is that sufficient to receive compensation? Or can elite members as myself get the compensation in advance?  ;)

Rhodium

dichloromethyl methyl ether formylation
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 05:09:00 PM »
Yes, the dichloromethyl methyl ether formylation is great, and while it doesn't require an inert atmosphere, it is great to at least work with septa and syringes, as TiCl4, SnCl4 and other suitable catalysts reacts with atmospheric moisture.

Rhodium

Related Article
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 12:35:00 AM »
Über -Halogenäther, XIII
Neue Verfahren zur Darstellung von Phenolaldehyden

H Gross, A Rieche, G Matthey

Chem. Ber. 96, 308-313 (1962)

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/djvu/alpha-halogenether.djvu)